SW PrepRite over Kilz 2 ??

Old 03-30-12, 10:12 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
SW PrepRite over Kilz 2 ??

My wood house was peeling really bad. I pressure washed the peeling paint off and sanded the rest down smooth. I sprayed kilz 2 over most of the house already. After going to get the sw super paint today the guy told me he would not put that good of paint over that terrible of primer. After reading for about an hour today I see that kilz 2 is basically hated. Will it be ok to spray the sw primer over the kilz 2 or is it basically pointless?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-12, 04:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 267 Votes on 236 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Why would you use SWP's preprite primer instead of their A-100 latex primer?

Depending on how well you applied the Kilz primer will determine if there is any point in repriming. When spraying primer/paint it is always best to back roll/brush the sprayed paint. This helps to work the primer/paint into the siding. If you didn't back roll - a coat of the correct primer worked into the substrate will help, otherwise there isn't much point. Primer applied over primer won't magically soak thru the existing primer.

Old 03-31-12, 07:59 AM
A
I have painted for several years, but never used kilz2 other than inside or just a small patch here and there. I cleaned the house with a TSP, bleach, and water mix, then sprayed and backrolled the kilz 2. The house was very, very dry though from years of peeling paint (no rot though). It may be a100 primer, I'm not sure. My brother picked up the paint and sw primer yesterday and it was dark when I got here. I thought I noticed a preprite bucket but didn't pay that much attention. I know it's what sw recommended.

Old 03-31-12, 01:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 267 Votes on 236 Posts
I'm retired so I'm not up on any new changes at SWP but the PrepRite line has always been interior primers. Both the oil base and latex A-100 primers are great siding primers but with the siding well sealed with the Kilz2, I don't know that the addition of a better primer will help.

I've rarely ever used any latex kilz - it's not a great stain hiding primer and there are better options for any other primer needs but I've heard there can be adhesion issues with Kilz2. Hopefully the dry raw wood will have given the kilz a good foothold.

Old 03-31-12, 06:15 PM
A
Preprite is interior/exterior now I guess. That's what it says on the bucket anyway. I stuck a piece of white masking tape on some of the dry kilz 2 and pressed really hard and left it overnight. When I got up this morning I went and yanked it off real hard and no kilz lifted. I went ahead and sprayed soffit (sp?) and facia (again) with the color. I am much happier with the way the preprite looks on the raw wood than the kilz. And i'm like you, if you want the absolute best finish you can get on a wood exterior, then go with a high quality oil primer and high quality paint on top of that. We are of course on a budget and only running one rig so I tried to stay away from thinner and oil. I think it's going to turn out really nice. I'll post up a pic when were done. Just me and my mom on a 2 story 4000sq ft exterior that was peeling bad is quite the task. I'm estimating it to be around a $6-7k job if it was hired out.