Problem with paint sprayer

Old 04-06-12, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem with paint sprayer

I just purchased a Riobi paint sprayer. It says it puts out 2800psi. I figured that would be good enough. However when I use the sprayer it has these 2 fingers that shoot off to the sides. It is really annoying the heck out of me. I can't get an accurate shot with the thing. I tried turning the pressure up and down. I tried cleaning the tip. I even tried a smaller size tip(411 instead of the 415 that it comes with). Am I doing something wrong or did I buy a piece of junk?
Thanx
Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-12, 12:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
I'm not familiar with the Ryobi airless. Fingers are caused by one of two things, trash in the paint partially clogging the tip [ it is a reversible tip, right?] or the paint too thick/pressure too low.

Is this the first time that airless has been used? If so, I'd thin the paint some and see how that does. If it's been used before - check the filters. There should be one in the gun handle and another in the pump manifold.

Old 04-06-12, 01:14 PM
Thanks marksr. I thought the paint may be the problem. I'll try thinning it a little and see how that works.

Old 04-06-12, 05:14 PM
R
Check the filters and clean as needed. Run water through your machine and check to see that your tip is ok. Now mix your paint and pass it through a paint strainer into a clean 5 gal bucket. Should work just fine. I wouldnt thin the paint. Even new paint has muck in it. Always Strain your paint before running it in your machine. 5 min work will be well worth your time.
If you dont want to strain it you can use screen wrapped around the paint intake. I do both.

Old 04-06-12, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the info RodgerFlorida, howevewr I do not think the filters would be clogged as it is a brand new machine, but I am giung to try thinning thr paint, because it was Kilz Premium that I was using. Which seemed to be kind of thick. So I'll let you all know how I make out.

Thanx

Jim

Old 04-07-12, 04:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 604 Votes on 557 Posts
Did the sprayer ever spray a good pattern? Have you given it a test with just water?

I have a couple commercial airless sprayers and even with their big motors it all comes down to the paint. Pouring the paint through a strainer helps but little blobs can still make it past the strainer and the pump's intake filter clogging the tip.

Old 04-07-12, 04:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
While I always strain paint to be sprayed with a conventional spray gun, unless the paint is old and trashy there shouldn't be a need to strain it for an airless - the filters take care of that. I'd be leery of any type of screen wrapped around the intake - it might get sucked into the intake

It's been a long time since I've used a small airless but they have never had the power to adequately pump the paint. That's why you often have to thin the paint for it to spray properly. Even the small commercial duty pumps can struggle with thick coatings.

Hopefully the tip is reversible - that makes it easy to clean any clogs that get to tip. The old type [not reversible] had to be removed for cleaning

Didn't think to mention it earlier but once your done spraying and have cleaned up the pump it's a good idea to run a little bit of mineral spirits thru the system. That displaces the water with something that can't cause rust if the airless sets idle for an extended period of time.

Old 04-07-12, 12:58 PM
My old paint sprayer got meesed up with rust, because I just used regular water to flush it out. Then it sat in the garage for a couple of years and then tried to use and it was shot. Iy was an old diaphram pump, so the check valves would not hold pressure anymore. As far as the paint sprayer I own now I have not checked it with water to see if it sprayed a good pattern or not. I just plunked the intake hose into the Kilz and sprayed away. I will try thinning the remaining paint.

Thanx

Jim

Old 04-12-12, 08:23 PM
A
It has nothing to do with thinning your paint. Your tip is clogged and you just need to reverse it and squirt for a second to get the clog out. Also remember paint thinner is only for oil based paint, all latex paint is thinned with water, but hardly necessary.

Old 04-16-12, 06:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It has nothing to do with thinning your paint.
Not necessarily true. Small pumps don't have enough pressure to adequately spray thick coatings. The fix is to either get a bigger pump or thin the paint. When thinning paints you should always use the recommended thinner - which will be on the label. While there are certain additives for latex paint that act like thinner, water is the only thinner that will work for making latex paint pump/spray better.

A clogged tip is easily remedied and in Jim's case has been ruled out as the cause...... I think

Old 04-18-12, 01:47 PM
A
I've never used anything smaller than a 440 or 395 but I have never saw latex paint they wouldn't spray perfectly.

Old 04-18-12, 03:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A Titan 440 will spray most paints unthinned but won't spray USG 1st Coat, blockfill or elastromeric and similar coatings without thinning. If I'm not mistaken the 440 won't support a tip bigger than a .017. Both the 440 and the Graco 395 are on the small end of commercial type airless pumps. Years ago I worked for an outfit that bought a small Graco that struggled to pump most paints unthinned. I don't know anything about the Ryobi airless but would guess that it's a home owner duty pump.

Old 04-21-12, 02:24 PM
You're right about the Ryobi. It is a home owner duty pump. BTW I thinned the paint with a little water and it was just fine.

Thanx for all your replies everyone.

Jim

Old 04-21-12, 02:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Your more than welcome, glad it worked out for you. It's always nice to hear the results!