Filling in spots over oil based primer on wood

Old 04-14-12, 04:46 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Filling in spots over oil based primer on wood

I need to fill in low spots on a poplar wood countertop that has had Behr brand oil based primer sealer applied to it. I have applied several coats of the primer sealer and after letting it cure for several days inside (dry and warm area) have sanded it smooth in most areas; however, there are still some spots of rough grain and grooves/dings. Is there some sort of leveler that I can apply over these remaining low spots that will work well with the existing oil based primer, or is my best choice to continue applying the same primer sealer to fill in these areas and then sand smooth? I plan to use oil based enamel spray paint and a clear top coat once I achieve a smooth primed surface.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-12, 02:31 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Primer really isn't made to repair wood. How deep are the grooves? You might need an orbital sander to make it smooth.

Old 04-16-12, 06:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
I agree, the major sanding and repairs should be done prior to priming. You can use some fillers over the primer - the repairs will need to be reprimed.

Not sure I understand your finish coat process. It would be difficult to get enough coating on the wood with an aerosol can. A quality oil base or waterborne enamel won't need a clear coat.