How to stop color bleed thru when painting paneling?

Old 04-24-12, 12:10 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question How to stop color bleed thru when painting paneling?

I have some fake oak grooved wood masonite paneling in my basement. The bottom say couple inches had some stains due to water damage. I am trying to paint the paneling to cover up the stains and discoloration. I purchased Zinsser Bullseye 123 stain blocking primer and primed the paneling. The bottom say 4 inches that have water stains keep bleeding through the primer. I've done 2 coats of primer and still can see some brown bleed through. How do I stop this? This was supposed to be a stain blocking primer.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-12, 12:40 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Don't worry about what shows through the primer, it doesn't visually block the stain. Rather, it keeps the material in the stain from working through into your paint. The paint itself visually blocks the stain.

You're ready for paint.

Old 04-24-12, 12:57 PM
H
Thanks Mitch.....I am so painting challenged.....

Old 04-24-12, 01:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Did you use the latex bullseye? or the oil base? Latex primers do a poor job of sealing water stains! The stains need to be sealed with a solvent based primer [oil or pigmented shellac]

Old 04-24-12, 01:11 PM
S
Group Moderator
Nice catch, Mark!

I agree - if this was latex primer, put on a coat of oil based.

Old 04-24-12, 01:50 PM
H
The Bullseye 123 primer is a latex. That's what the guy at HomeDepot told me would work....ugh!!

Old 04-24-12, 03:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Ya, it's hard to get competent advice at a big box. The help at your local paint store is generally trained better plus they have the advantage of bouncing questions off of the pros when they come in... but you can always stop buy here and ask - we'll do our best not to steer you wrong

You can just get a quart of primer [assuming that will cover all the stains] While the latex top coat might dry at a different rate over the 2 different primers - it will dry to an even color/sheen.

Old 04-25-12, 07:21 AM
S
Group Moderator
Bullseye 123 is a good primer, I use it all the time.

That said, for sealing stains, you want oil based (sometime shellac but that stuff's a little on the nasty side to use if you don't have to).

Old 04-25-12, 12:01 PM
H
I went to Menards's and they had Bullseye 123 Plus which is new. It is supposed to be for sealing water stains as well unlike the regular 123. I got some so let's see how it works. This is in an enclosed area in my basement and not much air circulation so I'm trying to avoid inhaling oil based or shellac primer fumes if I can. I'll let you know how this stuff works.