Painting Pool Table

Old 05-09-12, 01:45 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting Pool Table

New member here!

Hi I recently purchased a used pool table and I would like to paint it as the color doesnt match me decor! The pool table is covered in veneer sheets or laminate. I have done quite some reading on the net but still unsure of the best way to go about this.

My question is what is the best way to paint it to a satin black color.

I orginally wanted to spray paint to get a smoother finish, but I am not sure if it will look cheap or not. I was gonna prime tonite using Zinsser Primer (roll on) and let that sit until I know exactly whats the best next step.

If anyone can recommended me the right paint and top coat to use I would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-09-12, 01:49 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Where is the table at the moment? If inside already, I would not spray.

I would scuff sand this first and then use an oil based primer (Zinnser would be my choice) followed by a couple coats of oil based paint.

Waterborne enamel paint would be my second choice but the oil based primer either way.

Better supplies and advice tend to be found in paint stores over paint departments.

Old 05-09-12, 02:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
What kind of laminate is it?
Whenever adhesion is in doubt I like to use a pigmented shellac [like Zinnser's BIN] for a primer.
A professional looking job can be had using brush, roller or spray..... but a hack job can also be had using the same tools. It's always best to sand between coats. Multiple thin coats are usually better than a single heavy coat.

Old 05-09-12, 02:27 PM
K
The table is currently in pieces in my garage.

Over the past week end I got some rustoleum primer and primed the legs. Primer looks like its holding well.

I will be using Zinsser's BIN tonite or tmrw for priming after I sand the frame down.

I plan on dropping into a paint store sometime this week and ask about. Im trying to keep costs as low as possible as I am on a tight budget.

Im not sure what kind of laminate is on there. The table is made of plywood with a thin sheet of that fake looking type of wood glued to it.

Old 05-09-12, 02:29 PM
S
Group Moderator
I get tight budgets but sometimes the worst purchase you can make is the cheap one.

Old 05-09-12, 02:31 PM
K
I hear ya...I always think i can make it look better then spending a bunch of money on one thats good already

Old 05-09-12, 03:13 PM
S
Group Moderator
You can, I was speaking mostly about paint in this case

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: