Need Help with Primer/Paint Problem

Old 05-11-12, 08:46 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Help with Primer/Paint Problem

Decided to repaint our 2nd bathroom which had been painted 5 yrs. ago in a white bathroom/kitchen paint which had a semi-gloss-like sheen to it.

Bought Behr Premium self-priming semi-gloss paint in a darkish blue. Brushed on 2 coats along ceiling, around doors, medicine cabinet, soap dish..etc. We then decided we didn't like the color (I know, way too late!) & wanted to switch to a lighter blue eggshell. I noticed the dark blue wasn't adhering (sticky & came off easy when scraping with my fingernail) well and realized my mistake - I never sanded or primed the original white wall to remove the sheen. Figured the Behr self-primer would work ok.

So I then got Kilz Premium latex primer, brushed 2 coats on the dark blue to cover and it is still tacky after 1 week. Not too humid here & I even put a large floor fan on for 2 straight days - no change. The Kilz doesn't come off when I put on & pull off a pc. of blue painters tape but it will hold a square of toilet tissue when pressed on the wall.

Guy at the paint store suggested that when (if?) the Kilz dries, to prime everything with Ben Moore Fresh Start Superior Primer. Since using the latex Kilz primer, I've read a lot on the net about it's poor reputation & problems with drying, adhesion ..etc.

I'm very unsure how to proceed at this point and am hesitant to put anything else over the mess on my walls.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-11-12, 08:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

That's a lot of coats in a short while Normally latex paint cures in about a week, not sure how long it will take at this point. I'd leave it be for the time being. When it's dry enough where you can scuff sand the wall - I'd sand and repaint. I don't know that there would be anything gained by applying another coat of primer. The BM primer would be a superior primer.

Old 05-11-12, 11:19 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Yeah, I hate to say it but I would never have used any of the products you did.

I agree with Mark, give this some time before proceeding any further and then break out the sandpaper.

Old 05-15-12, 11:50 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mitch, Mark,

Still tacky as of today 5/15. I'll give it another 7-10 days & see what happens.

Mitch - when you say sanding, do you mean just lightly sand off the finish of the Kilz & the rest of the wall I didn't prime (with the old white kitchen/bath paint) or do you mean an aggressive deep sanding to remove both the 2 coats of Kilz primer and the 2 coats of dark blue Behr under it?

Thanks

Uncle T

Old 05-15-12, 12:10 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Not sure on the details in your case but you need to sand down to a layer which is well adhered to the wall.

Old 05-15-12, 03:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Generally a scuff sanding is all that is needed for the next coat to adhere well. If it's not adhering to the substrate a more aggressive sanding is usually needed.

If the paint is still tacky 10 days from now, you have 2 choices - either remove the paint or apply a different primer. While it's best to remove the offending paint/primer, that's easier said than done. Unless the existing tacky paint is easy to remove, I'd coat the walls with a better primer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: