Best Paint to buy

Old 05-24-12, 02:11 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best Paint to buy

I'm looking for a good latex paint.....is there much different in different manufacters paint?....I was looking at sherman williams....Behr...and glidden...behr and glidden are sold @ home depot and are about 5 dollar cheaper than sherman williams.....any other brands i should be looking at...thanks

i

Old 05-24-12, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Although I've been happy with Behr...I don't do the painting here...wifey does. She (and I) probably don't know any real difference.

You'll probably be happier with a paint store brand...but their cheapest lines (which it sounds like you are comparing) are really no better than the Big Box stuff.

The Pros here always recommend at least the mid-level paint lines whether it be Benjamin Moore or SW or any other specialty paint store. You may pay $15-20 more per gallon...but when you buy a 5 gal bucket the difference will be less.

Much depends on what the usage will be. Here..it's me and her...so scrubbing and wear are not a huge issue. If you have kids, pets, visitors, it can be a factor.

Are you only looking to fix it up to sell? Well..then durability may not be an issue.

Old 05-24-12, 02:28 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I use Benjamin Moore exclusively and our retired painter (Marksr) has a long and happy history with Sherwin Williams.

As Vic said, all manufacturers have multiple lines of paint and you don't want to use anyone's cheap line.

Old 05-24-12, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
I was using valspar lowes stuff exclusively. Am not happy with it at all. Coverage, cleaning, bathroom steam marks...etc

Well I had the kitchen painted the guy said get the Behr from depot. What a difference. I notice the look and sheen is way better then the valspar crude.

I would recommend Behr.

I have used Benjamin Moore/ Shrwin williams in the past but cannot justify the price.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike NJ

Old 05-24-12, 03:20 PM
S
Group Moderator
Some people get good results with Behr but it's also been my observation that more people complain about it here than any other brand.

Based on that, I can't recommend it (that and I've never actually used it) but you may be pleased with it.

Old 05-24-12, 03:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Best Paint to buy - the best you can afford. The ceiling is the only place I would consider going cheap..... and even then coverage might be an issue. Better paints are easier to apply and get better coverage than their bargain basement counterpart.

Glidden makes great paint but not the line sold at the big box store - it's Glidden's cheapest .... but then I seldom use any coatings from a big box paint dept. Most every paint manufacture sells a cheap line of paint that isn't worth using IMO. Like Vic stated - most any brand, midline or better will give good results. Besides offering better coatings, your local paint stores have better trained help and are better equipped to give you competent advice

Old 05-24-12, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Dont it also come down to the primer in the paint or not? I got the behr depot grade with primer and it was like $22 bucks a gallon.

Mike NJ

Old 05-24-12, 04:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally the only time you need primer is on bare substrates or when adhesion or stain bleeding is expected to be an issue. There are certain colors that might cover better if the wall is primed first.

IMO the primer in the paint is more marketing hype than fact. As far as I know only the big box brands offer primer/paint combo. Never heard of any paint store paint being marketed that way although some of the better paints will say they will cover over minor raw areas ok.

Old 05-24-12, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 332 Votes on 286 Posts
I have always have had good luck with Behr. Last gallon I just bought was $26. Big orange is more convenient than the paint stores since I am there all the time anyway.

Old 05-25-12, 07:04 AM
S
Group Moderator
I'm with Mark, I also do not use primer and paint in the same can products. I believe primer and paint have different jobs requiring different ingredients and therefore both in the same can would lead to neither being able to do its job well.

Just my 2 so take it for what it's worth

Old 05-31-12, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good Paint

DUNN EDWARDS = GOOD PAINT JOB. Stay away from SW, Glidden

Old 05-31-12, 02:01 PM
S
Group Moderator
SW makes good paint, why do you advocate staying away from them without providing any other supporting information on your first post in the forums?

Old 05-31-12, 03:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
SWP and Glidden both have some great coatings! but some cheap ones too
Dunn Edwards is the same - some cheap worthless coatings on the bottom end and great coatings at the top.

Old 05-31-12, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 164 Votes on 131 Posts
Just a thought, but could be Buster sells Dunn Edwards. For the record, I've never heard of it.

Old 06-01-12, 03:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Surely nobody would come to the forums to advertise
Years ago I worked for an outfit in fla that did a big job using Dunn Edwards paint - their cheapest
but to be fair, I've also done a few small jobs with DE's top line paint and it preformed great. They've been around for a long time but I think they are mainly in the S.W.

Old 06-01-12, 07:28 AM
S
Group Moderator
Sure, it might be great paint but knocking a product we all think of as being good without any supporting information doesn't really get the job done.

Now Mark, with your reputation on this site, I would take your opinion on such a thing without any support but a first time poster has earned no reputation to pull off something like that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: