painting

Old 01-19-01, 04:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I just pulled all of the wallpaper off of my den walls, and it came off easily, I must admit. I plan to paint it with textured paint. My question is, do I have to remove the paste since the final paint job is not going to be smooth? Will the weight of the paint pull the paste off of the walls and make me have to do the whole thing over? This is a pretty large surface area (the paper extended into the hallway to the kitchen), and if I can avoid removing the paste, I'd love to. I've done it before to smooth paint other rooms, and it's a major pita. Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-19-01, 05:42 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
stacierusk, Wallpaper glue has a bad habit of bleeding through water based paints causing discoloration. The only way to be sure this won't happen is to get the glue off or prime with a coat of KILZ Original or any good oil based primer...Mike

Old 01-19-01, 06:55 PM
Visiting Guest
wallpaper glue

Thanks!! That I can certainly do. My mother suggested that the weight of textured paint might cause the paste to come loose from the wall and make the paint fall off. Is there any validity to this? It sounds a little farfetched, but one never knows....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: