Painting paneling

Old 01-20-01, 01:37 PM
Visiting Guest
We want to paint the paneling in our den but don't know how to get started. What do we need to do to prepare it? Should we use oil or latex? The paneling is "pieced" towards the bottom and molding is over the joint. Can we fill in the joints with drywall mud or is there a different product we should use?

Old 01-20-01, 04:02 PM
Visiting Guest
I would paint it as is if it were me doing it, leaving the trim in place, it will look better than taking it off and caulking. I guess you could tape and float out the joints and fill the grooves with drywall compound but it is not something I would do.

Your best bet is going to be to lightly sand all the paneling with a 220 grit sandpaper, wipe away the dust, putty the holes, caulk up the trim, the joints where they are butted next to each other and corners with a PAINTABLE latex caulking useing a wet finger to smooth and a wet rag to clean any mess and keep your finger clean, keep it nice and neat and let dry, prime with a quality oil based primer (like Kilz) You can sand lightly again for smoothness and paint with a quality wall paint, I would suggest a satin or eggshell for paneling.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: