Painting new kitchen cabinets

Old 06-20-12, 06:06 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting new kitchen cabinets

I'm building new kitchen cabinets out of maple ply and hard maple for face frames and raised panels. My wife has decided she wants to paint them (arrrgh!).

So what is the best way to get a smooth finish on my virgin wood? I'm assuming a coat of primer if first (oil or latex?) and then one or two coats of paint. The paint store says they can mix in an additive to make them more "durable". Not sure what that would be though.

I do have a hvlp sprayer (Rockler cheapie that gets good reviews) that I'd like to use. Do I need to sand between primer and paint? Do I need a clear coat on top of the paint for further protection? If so, doe it also need to be water based? I don't want it to peel off.

Thanks,
Rut

Old 06-20-12, 08:41 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Geez, why'd you go with maple if you're going to be covering them with paint? Yes, I understand your frustration

As long as you're painting them, you could fill the grain with joint compound and sand smooth before you paint.

I'd go with one coat of oil based primer (I always use oil on bare wood but latex should be fine as well) and then a couple coats of a waterborne enamel. No top coat would be needed. Personally, I'd use a brush unless you can spray them outside, spraying inside is just too much hassle for me.

Old 06-20-12, 04:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Open grain shouldn't be an issue with maple. An oil base enamel undercoater would be best but a decent job can also be had using a latex enamel undercoater [primer] You always want to sand in between coats - that helps with adhesion and also helps to reduce/eliminate any defects in the paint job.

Oil base enamel dries the hardest [wears best] but light colors will yellow with age. Waterborne dries almost as hard as oil [my personal choice] There can be a big difference in quality with latex enamels - the cheap ones aren't worth using although the top quality latex enamels are ok.

I've never heard of an additive for paint that would make it wear better

Old 06-20-12, 05:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Painting maple....is nothing sacred??? I couldn't find an emoticon for "puke", but I'm a wood guy and Marksr is a paint guy so follow the advice given.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: