Latex Primer Over Shellac Primer.....Okay To Do???

Old 07-02-12, 09:04 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Latex Primer Over Shellac Primer.....Okay To Do???

Is it okay to paint a coat of Kilz2 Latex primer over a coat of BIN Shellac primer? BTW...sorry in advance for the unnecessarily long explanation below.

I'm a little short on cash and would like to finish painting a play room for my son. The ceiling is in good shape but is 160 sq.ft. of textured 12"x12" ceiling tiles. There is a decorative (sorta) seam between each side of the tiles that is a little too deep to be reached by a roller and needs to be brushed by hand.

I'm priming because when the previous owner painted the room I don't think they primed. The tile has soaked up too much paint in some areas and not enough in others. The seams between the tiles barely have any paint at all.

I need a little less than a half gallon to cover the area but have leftovers of two other types of primers on hand. Between the two of them it will finish the job.

I was planning to brush the seams between the tiles with one primer (BIN Shellac based) and when that runs out roll over the surface of the tiles with another primer (Kilz2 Latex).

This is more of a question of....is it okay to have a latex based primer over a shellac primer? Sure I could just put an extra coat or two of ceiling paint or buy a fresh gallon of primer....but I already have some on hand I'd like to finish up. Waste not, want not.

Old 07-02-12, 09:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Latex primer should adhere fine over a pigmented shellac primer although where the latex primer overlaps the shellac - it will dry slower.

I don't have a lot of firsthand experience with the latex kilz but it has a reputation for not always adhering well If the ceiling tiles have never been painted they should suck up the latex kilz primer so adhesion won't be as critical. Latex kilz won't do a good job of sealing stains, especially water stains.

Old 07-02-12, 09:21 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
In my opinion, throw away any latex Kilz you have; I would never use it based on the reputation I've seen it develop here for not adhering (the oil based Kilz is a good product). If this were my project, I would invest in a Zinnser primer like 123 or Bullseye for the job.

That said, if there is already paint there are you are sure it's not oil based, I would maybe skip the primer and just apply a couple coats of paint.

Old 07-02-12, 09:21 AM
B
Thanks marksr! No stains but it has been previously painted...but poorly. The previous owners didn't prime and too much paint got absorbed into the seams. I think I may just prime the seams with the BIN Shellac primer and re-coat with two coats of ceiling paint.

Old 07-02-12, 12:07 PM
B
Oooops. Just went to the basement and noticed I had shellac base primer and oil base primer, not latex.

Can the oil base primer go over the shellac primer?

Old 07-02-12, 12:12 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Oil based Kilz? Yep, that would be fine. Personally, I would use the oil based first, shellac based is really stinky and I tend to avoid it unless I'm trying to cover something particularly difficult.

Old 07-03-12, 05:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I agree, pigmented shellac is a great primer and will adhere to most anything..... but the odor is really rough and if you don't have enough fresh air ventilation - it will make you drunk too

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: