Drydex issues: ever-pink

Old 07-02-12, 03:17 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drydex issues: ever-pink

Hi there,

I'm renovating our office at high speeds as a gift for my husband. I tore down painted wallpaper and on Saturday, patched a bunch of tiny holes and divots with that pink-to-white drydex. In a few hours all were white and I sanded. I wiped a small section with a wet rag and the edges began to get pink and I swapped to a tack cloth.

The next day, in a corner where the plaster had cracked and my father-in-law had managed to only half-fix with spackle, I added a bead of caulk to fill the joint. I smoothed it with a wet fingertip. Sure enough, the edges of the drydex turned pink....and have never turned back.

Today--a good 24+ hours after the caulking--I said the heck with it, and primed and painted after consulting with my handyman. And predictably, as I added the latex primer, a few of the drydex edges pinkened. They stayed that way for hours and I just painted over them eventually. I figured they were under primer, anyway, at this point.

But I'm puzzled--why did this happen? i get that adding moisture makes the stuff turn pinkish again, but why did it stay that way in the area with the caulk? the pink area wasn't even paper thin--I could etch it with my fingernail, so it wasn't damp. It wasn't under the caulk. What gives? I wish I'd bought plain-jane spackle so I wouldn't have been all anxious about it today.

Thanks!
Jen

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-12, 03:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Jen, welcome to the forums! DryDex is to be used sparingly. It is not spackle, nor is it drywall compound. At best it is used to fill in small holes, or scratches where your drywall knife left a mark. Putting it on too thick may lengthen the time it needs to fully cure, although the exterior will turn white. Now as far as it turning pink again, I have never had that happen, but then again I don't introduce water back to my wall once it is dry. A light sanding and dry cloth wiping and you're done. It is at this point I leave it up to my painters to complete and make me look good, as I don't paint.

Old 07-02-12, 03:29 PM
S
I wasn't thrilled when I saw him with it in the corner, but it was too late--the stuff was already setting up. The package says you can wet-sand, so introducing water doesn't seem to be a huge issue, and it doesn't say to wait until white again to paint. Mysterious. And the weirdest part is that it's the feathered edges that stayed pink--not closer to the middle, where'd you'd expect it.

Old 07-03-12, 05:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
I've never used DryDex but I wouldn't be overly concerned about it changing colors as it gets rewetted with primer. It's possible the fact that caulking doesn't dry hard like primer/paint is why it stayed pink where it was caulked. I'd only be concerned if the pink is still visible after the primer has dried.

Old 07-03-12, 05:24 AM
S
Because you'd have concerns about the primer not being thick enough to cover? I used Killz Latex--and yes, I could still see bits of pink. I even chipped through the primer in a tiny spot and could etch away the pink with a fingernail. It's dry.

Old 07-03-12, 05:32 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Ugh. Kilz latex has had adhesion problems....

Old 07-03-12, 05:35 AM
S
I've had no problem with it in the past.

Old 07-03-12, 05:36 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Good, glad to hear it and I hope your success continues with it.

Old 07-03-12, 05:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
Because you'd have concerns about the primer not being thick enough to cover?
No, it's not coverage but if the wet primer turns the spackle pink and the pink doesn't go away after the primer dries - that would be a concern!

The water based kilz has a bad reputation - mostly with adhesion issues. I never use it because there are better primers to pick from.

Old 07-03-12, 05:45 AM
S
Well, the caulked area had had some 36 hours to turn white and didn't, so I think your assessment is right--something about the properties of the caulk. there was one tiny spackled hole edge that looked faintly pink when I painted it yesterday, but by that point, it had been primed for about 4 hours--the primer's dry time is one hour. several of the wall holes had originally been covered with a mauve paint (to blend with the wallpaper), and i can't recall if this particular spot had been one of those.

if i'd used white spackle, i never would have had any of these concerns. kicking myself...

i've used killz latex on an outside porch and the kitchen with no issue. the porch has been beat up for a year now and it's still fine.