what to charge for 3,600 sq ft of new drywall to prime and paint

Old 07-20-12, 09:48 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what to charge for 3,600 sq ft of new drywall to prime and paint

ok I have am office with 15 different rooms all with brand new drywall to be painted & primed. Wondering what amount to charge per sq ft to paint?

I am thinking of using CIL paint & primer on the walls after 1 coat of straight primer has been applied.

The total SQ footage is approx 3,604. I also have 18 solid wood doors & metal jambs to paint as well...

This is north of toronto Canada area.....

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Derek

Old 07-20-12, 10:20 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I don't know CIL but why would you use a paint/primer combination over primer? I would opt for a quality paint-only product.

How long do you think this will take you? How much do you expect to make per hour for you efforts?

So this job is yours without having to bid for it?

Old 07-20-12, 10:33 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
actually will prime the walls and doors first then be applying benjamin moore as the final paint (1 to 2 coats where needed). Looking to quote the job.......

Just trying to get an idea on why should normally be charged for a person with 3 years experience with interior painting.....

Old 07-20-12, 12:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Rates for painting very greatly dependent on skill and location. I used to paint a lot of new work and most of it was based off of a standard sq footage price. Unless you can find out what other paint contractors are getting per sq ft for similar work - you'll need to figure it out yourself.... and even if you find out what other contractors are charging per sq ft, you still need to figure out if that works for you and the job at hand.

About 40 yrs ago I was asked to bid on a hospital addition. I told the builder no way could I figure a job that big - didn't have enough experience. I've never forgotten what he said " you know how to bid little jobs, break the figures up into little jobs and add them together" Estimating the amount of primer/paint needed is easy - just figure the wall sq footage, then figure out how much time it will take you to do the work. Don't forget the little things like caulking, putty, sanding, etc. Also any equipment you might need to buy or rent. Always add some extra time and material to cover what you might miss.

3 yrs experience doesn't mean a whole lot - either you can do the job or you can't. While I became proficient at painting early on, I've worked with men that had painted for 20-30 yrs and still weren't all that good

Old 07-20-12, 01:55 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I've worked with men that had painted for 20-30 yrs and still weren't all that good.
I had the same in my line of work. I called it one year of experience 20 or 30 times over.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: