applying alkyd enamel to doors

Old 07-23-12, 11:37 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
applying alkyd enamel to doors

I need to paint two new 96 x 42 in. hollow-core doors. The doors are birch veneer and I have primed them with two coats of oil-based primer and sanded nicely. I'll be applying B. Moore Dulamel semigloss alkyd.

What's the best way to get a smooth finish? Should I roll then "tip off" with a good brush?

Or is there a good roller cover I can use that will give me a smooth finish without any "orange peel?"

Should I paint them vertically or horizontally?

MANY thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-12, 11:44 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
These are inside doors, right?

What color is the paint? Oil based paint tends to yellow over time, which makes it a poor choice for colors like white.

I would just choose a quality brush from a paint store like where you bought your paint and use that. You can thin the paint a little bit but I see no need to do so.

Old 07-23-12, 02:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
I'd cut in as needed with an oil brush, then use a 3/16" nap mohair roller for the rest. Vertically is fine... if it wants to run you are putting on too much paint. Thin coats are best.

Old 07-23-12, 04:32 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
For just 2 doors, I'd just brush them...... but if you want/need to use a roller, the mohair is the best. It will leave a slight orange peel finish but most won't notice it. If you plan to roll and then tip it off, most any short nap roller cover will work.