Primer not sticking to walls or ceiling

Old 07-24-12, 09:18 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Primer not sticking to walls or ceiling

I'm in the middle of remodeling a bedroom with two closets in a house built in 1917. I primed and painted the bedroom walls without trouble. I used BULLS EYE 1-2-3 WATER-BASE PRIMER then a latex paint on top.

This evening I started to prime the bedroom walls with the same Bulls Eye primer and it would not stick. As I rolled the primer it would go on fine then when I took another pass to smooth the roller marks, the primer I just rolled on would come right back off. It's as if the primer is not sticking at all in some places. It looked so bad that I immediately scraped what I could back off the walls but some of the primer still stayed on. The first wall that I primed worked fine and the primer that stayed on the other wall after I scraped seems to be adhered very well.

The walls are a flat chalky finish. I have tested for lead using a self test kit bought at a big box store and it was negative. I also cleaned the walls with TSP before priming.

Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this? Thanks!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-12, 04:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
Did you rinse the TSP well? While TSP is a great cleaning agent it must be rinsed well or it can affect adhesion. While I often use TSP on the exterior where it can be rinsed with a pressure washer [or water hose] I hardly ever use it on the interior.

The other thing that comes to mind is if there are any drywall/plaster repairs and the sanding dust wasn't removed - primer/paint won't stick.

What do you mean the walls have a chalky finish? paint won't adhere long term to chalk - it needs to be washed off if feasible otherwise add Flood's EmulsaBond to the primer or use an oil base primer.

almost forgot welcome to the forums!

Old 07-25-12, 07:07 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
What's the paint on the walls now? If it's oil based, you need to be using an oil based primer (latex paint can go on top of oil based primer).