How Do I Cover Over Beam Marks and Nail Marks with Paint?

Old 08-15-12, 12:55 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How Do I Cover Over Beam Marks and Nail Marks with Paint?

I would like to know what type of paint product would help me to cover over beam and nail marks on walls and ceiling in a bedroom. I attached two photos to give you a point of reference. The walls and ceiling in this bedroom have been painted over multiple times, but the beams and the nail marks still show through. I am not sure if the nail marks are the nails that hold the dry wall in place and that were covered with spackle or if the nails marks are below the drywall.

I am not sure what type of paint was used in the past, but it was probably an indoor latex paint.

I do not know if a primer was used underneath the paint, but I think a primer was used.

Do you think Kilz primer would cover these marks? Do you think I should use the latex or oil-based version of Kilz?

It has been a long while since this room has been painted, I am not sure how soon after the last paint job did the beams and the nail marks start to show.

Thank you for your advice.

Attached Images   
Old 08-15-12, 01:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
If it's a stain, oil base kilz should seal it and can be top coated with your choice of paint. Sometimes a bad finish or hanging job can create shadows in the finish - only more mud, sanding and texture will fix that.

Have you ruled out any leaks that might be causing the discoloration?

Old 08-15-12, 01:28 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Mark has it right - you have to figure out what's showing here, a drywall imperfection needing joint compound added or a stain needing a sealing primer like oil based Kilz.

Old 08-15-12, 01:38 PM
U
Well, if the beams are showing through on both the walls and the ceiling, can I conclude that it is a stain? You can tell it is the beams because it is consistently spaced out.

I do not believe that it is a leak, because it is showing up on multiple walls and on the ceiling.

Old 08-15-12, 01:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
The thing is - why is it stained? We're hindered a little by not being there in person to look at it closer and from multiple angles so it's hard to say with certainty that it is a stain and a solvent based primer will fix it. A coat of oil primer should seal the stain fine but if there is an underlying cause of the stain - it may come back

Old 08-15-12, 01:53 PM
S
Group Moderator
Anyone in the house smoke or burn a lot of candles?

We used to see this in some of our units if the tenants smoked - the soot would settle on the structure under the drywall like this.

Old 08-15-12, 01:59 PM
U
Hi Mitch-

It's funny you should ask about smoking. I do not smoke, but someone who had the room years ago did, do you think that is what it could be? If so, does that alter the recommended treatment?

Old 08-15-12, 02:08 PM
S
Group Moderator
If it's from smoking, it's a stain and an oil based sealing primer followed by a coat or two of quality interior paint should solve the problem.

Old 08-15-12, 04:10 PM
U
Thank you. You gave me some good advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: