Cutting In

Old 08-16-12, 08:24 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Cutting In

I'm pretty good at cutting in, but I can't seem to make a straight line where the walls meet the ceiling. I've tried using tape, but it bleads through and actually looks worse than if I didn't use tape. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to use a smaller and/or thinner brush? paint more slowly? use a special tool? How do the pros do it?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-12, 08:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Very carefully and by hand, no tape.

Am I good at this? Not even close. Go slowly and be patient. Personally, I have several rooms where the paint on the wall and the ceiling are the same (so is the texture) so I don't have to be as accurate.

Old 08-16-12, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The brush and patients

I alway cut in by hand, im not a pro but ive done my fair share of painting and it usually looks pretty good. This is definitely one of the places ive found that the quality of brush plays a big roll in how good it comes out. I use a 2.5" angled sash brush for cutting in. you get a decent load of paint and go slow.

Hope this helps

Old 08-16-12, 04:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
You definitely have to have a decent brush! Even with all my painting experience I couldn't do a good cut in job with a dime store brush. A 2" or 2.5" sash brush is a good starting place for a novice. Another trick [especially for textured ceilings] is to drag the edge of your putty knife along the corner where the wall/ceiling meet. That will help you to have a straighter line to paint to.

Take your time, and practice, practice, practice Like anything else, the more you do it, the better you will become..... and if you get a little on the ceiling - it usually isn't a big deal to go back and touch up the ceiling paint

Old 08-16-12, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Votes on 228 Posts
Also, IMO, it is better to stay 1/8" down from the ceiling angle in most cases than to paint right up to it. You will never roll paint up onto the ceiling if you do this. I also like the angled sash brushes.