Easy way to paint ceilings?

Old 08-16-12, 10:48 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Easy way to paint ceilings?

I have to paint 2 ceilings...our kitchen and our so called 'great room'...I am having physical problems and even thought to hire it out...but to save that money, is there an easy way for a broke down gal to paint ceilings? It's going to kill my neck, which has a lot of problems.

Are the long handeled rollers easy to use...if you need to apply much pressure, not sure that would work...

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 08-16-12, 11:06 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
Generally I've used a broom handle with a standard roller. Most rollers will allow you to simply screw in the broom handle and go.
That being said, it can be physically demanding (neck and arms) still.
A friend, pizza and a box of beer might be a workable solution or hire someone.

Old 08-16-12, 11:31 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
The roller with an extension will get most of it but you generally still need to cut in the edges with a brush.

I'm with Mike, I think looking into the cost of some pizza and beer to ply a neighbor would be a good idea.

Old 08-16-12, 04:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I wouldn't think about rolling a ceiling without the proper size roller pole! Even so, roll enough ceilings in one day and even a young buck will complain

Usually most ceilings [other than bath rm] can be painted with flat latex. Flat white latex paint can be very forgiving so most times you can get by with stopping and starting. Unless caused by poor coverage, lap marks will mostly be seen if the ceiling is low, well lit and you have a long angle view of it.

A nice smile and a bat or two of your eyelids - no telling how much help you might get

Old 09-04-12, 02:40 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hey guys...been very busy...we farm and we have an early harvest going on right now...anywho...
thanks. I realize I'll still have to do the cutting in, I can deal with that, it's just the entire ceiling that I am concerned about...
marksr, your suggestion of a flat latex is a good one...should roll on easier for me...I will have to stop often.

I tried to get a pro painter in to do the job, but we live in a rural area, and seems all the painter dudes are busy and I can't wait too long...we're getting new flooring installed.

Beer, pizza, friends...would work, but not around here...our friends also farm, so they are busy too...our sons, one farms with us, so that leaves him out, the other works like a dog and I won't even ask him...hubby is out too...it's harvest time...he'd paint them, but I'd have to wait until farming is done for the year...late Nov.

So, I am kinda screwed... in case you're interested, I also just posted a new topic in this thread section...but, I'll ask your advice here anyway...we have crown moulding and chair rail in the living room...does that moulding and trim have to be the same white and the ceiling? I will use an enamel for the moulding & trim, but wanted to use a pale, soft cream color for them...will that look OK with a white ceiling?

Thanks

Old 09-04-12, 03:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Pro painters tend to have more time available after the weather turns cold..... if you can wait that long
But there isn't any reason you can't get a good job doing it your self Normally all the woodwork gets painted with the same enamel. That would include the crown molding, chair rail and baseboard. The main thing is getting a paint job that satisfies you and yours. It's not like you will get a fine for painting something the wrong color..... and I also replied in your other thread.

Almost forgot - cream color should look fine with the white ceiling. I only have painted crown in my foyer but all my painted woodwork is SWP's Dover White which is somewhat of a creaming off white. All my ceilings are white.

Old 09-04-12, 06:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 324 Votes on 278 Posts
You will spend a HUGE amount of tile prepping, bagging, and taping everything off, but you could spray the ceiling with an airless paint sprayer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: