Clearcoat on cornhole board

Old 08-18-12, 01:37 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clearcoat on cornhole board

I made a couple of cornhole boards and I'm looking for a paint and a clearcoat surface that will resist impact and scuffing. I want to paint the boards team colors and apply an NFL team logo decal so whatever finish coat I put on it will have to be durable but let the logo show through.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-12, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I'd imagine about the only thing would be a water based poly? Solvent based will affect the decal and paint underneath.

If it won't be outside all the time except when in use...I'd look for a water based floor finish.

I had to look up what a cornhole board was. If you ever watched Beavis and Butthead...you'd understand my confusion.

Old 08-18-12, 03:21 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 255 Votes on 225 Posts
Ya, it needs to be a waterbased poly. Oil base poly shouldn't hurt the underlying paint/decal but it will give it a yellow cast and amber more as it ages

Old 08-19-12, 05:01 AM
W
Yeah, I understand the confusion. The first time I heard it we were visiting friends for a BBQ and his wife said "lets play cornhole" while the ribs are cooking.

It ends up being a more user, and lawn, friendly game similar to horseshoes without the heavy shoes, post and pit .

Old 08-19-12, 07:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 566 Votes on 519 Posts
Cornhole is an awesome game for the backyard, made better with a cooler of beer and a bunch of friends! Course I would have to say that since I live in Nebraska... land of the Cornhuskers... LOL

Old 08-19-12, 07:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 169 Votes on 151 Posts
Another option is to use a pour on epoxy finish. This is very durable finish that they use on bar tops and even imbed things into tables. If you do this be sure to read the instructions VERY carefully!

Old 08-21-12, 03:50 PM
D
I would recommend PolyCrylic. It's ideal for latex paints and provides UV protection. I put on 5 coats (three would suffice) and sanded between each. My cornhole boards are still as vivid as the day they were finished and the decals i added haven't faded at all.