Ceiling and crown moulding color help.

Old 09-04-12, 02:45 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Ceiling and crown moulding color help.

I'll be painting ceilings white (flat latex) and in one room, the living room, we have crown moulding and chair rail...
does the moulding have to be the same white as the ceiling? I would like to use a soft, cream color for the moulding and chair rail (will use a soft finish enamel for the moulding & rail)

Thanks

Old 09-04-12, 02:50 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You can use whatever you like. I don't think that there is a law on it.

Old 09-04-12, 03:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I thought we covered this ground in another thread.

Old 09-04-12, 03:37 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
We may have The interior decorators might have a 'law' but like Pulpo said - you can paint it any color you wish. IMO the woodwork [including crown mold and chair rail] should all be painted the same with an enamel paint. In other words the crown, chair rail, baseboard and any window/door trim would be coated with the same paint.

Old 09-05-12, 07:05 AM
F
hi guys....
chandler...we did, sort of...but in that thread, I had asked about what to use because this crown & chair rail is stained...you guys gave me the info I needed about that...

this time, I just kinda needed a few opinions on the color for the moulding & trim...I assumed it could be anything that I wanted, but got kinda undecided because the ceilings will be white and I see more photos of the crown mouldings painted the same as the ceiling than not...maybe I didn't see enough photos!!

Anywho...once again, I thank you for the replies...within the next few days I'm off to the local SW paint store to buy my paints...
still in hopes of hiring the ceiling work out, but doesn't look like I can find a painter around here that isn't booked few weeks out...gggrrrr.
I still need to pick my new wall colors because I decided I'd change the color I have on the bottom of my kitchen walls and use a bead board (I have chair rail in the kitchen too) and also piant the top portion of the kitchen walls (which are white)...and whatever color I use on the top portion of the walls I will carry into the next room, we call it the 'big room', which is also white.

I'll also go ahead and re face the kitchen cabinets using the Giani Nuvo cabinet piants and will glaze over the base color...then, I'm gonna use the Giani counter top piant on the counter tops.

Thanks all...appreciate the input.

Old 09-05-12, 07:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
the ceilings will be white and I see more photos of the crown mouldings painted the same as the ceiling than not.

That's probably because white is the most common color for the woodwork. I suspect if you look closely at the pics you'll see that the ceiling is a flat white paint while the crown is painted with a white enamel.

I'd be a little leery of any tradesman that wasn't booked ahead for an extended time frame. The good tradesmen always have plenty of work and have to put you on the list. The ones without a good reputation are more apt to have less work lined up.

Old 09-05-12, 11:08 AM
F
marksr...

Probably right...most trim is white...yep...flat on the ceilings, a latex satin enamel for the trims...will go, most likely, with a creamy color.

I guess so, good contractors would be busy...which is amazing considering the population isn't much around here. I did manage to get one painter that will come out and take a look, then tell me yes or no that they can fit me in...only a one day job for a pro!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: