Can You Suggest How I Can Update this Room with Stucco Walls and Brick Veneers?

Old 09-07-12, 10:46 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can You Suggest How I Can Update this Room with Stucco Walls and Brick Veneers?

This is my living room. Originally, I was going to remove all the walls and ceilings and have new drywall put up. This psuedo stucco treatment seems dated to me. The other wall has brick veneers. I don't mind the brick so much, I think it creates some visual interest. I can't afford to remove and replace the drywall right now, but I think the room needs an update.

I just want to get ideas as to how I might be able to update the look of this room without tearing down the walls and putting up new drywall.

If I leave the color of the brick the way it is, I feel like I am limited in the paint colors I can choose for the other walls and ceilings.

Maybe I could get a heavy duty sander, and just sand the stucco down some? Or maybe I could add some filler material into the stucco walls to make the stucco less intense?

The room has wood floors.

I would like some advice on suggested treatments, suggested colors, whether I should paint the faux brick, etc. Thank you for your insight.

Attached Images    
Old 09-07-12, 11:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I'd scrape the stucco off best I could, skim coat the walls, sand, prime and paint.

Old 09-07-12, 11:49 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What would you use to scrape the stucco off? I don't know if this makes a difference, But I believe it was actually a textured roller and paint that created this appearance. By doing it the way you suggest, will I still end up with walls/ceilings that have some texture to them? They won't end up perfectly smooth, right?

Old 09-07-12, 11:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
A stiff wide putty knife would probably work the best. The main thing is to remove most of the high spots and then apply a thin layer of joint compound to make the wall slick.

It would be difficult to just remove some of the texture and have it look uniform/good but it might be possible.

Old 09-07-12, 12:07 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
IMO, it would be easier to skim coat the walls smooth and then add new texture than to try to leave some of what you have now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: