Priming an already primed fiberglass door

Old 09-16-12, 09:52 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Priming an already primed fiberglass door

Smooth fiberglass front door that comes pre primed from the factory, do I prime again before painting? I will be using an exterior latex paint. Is it worth the extra step to prime? What is a good primer to use?

I am thinking of trying a Benjamin Moore paint. Which one would give me the best results? I have used Behr in the past, and I don't care for SW. Any suggestions?

Old 09-16-12, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If it hasn't been exposed to the weather for any real length of time, I would lightly sand (120-150 grit) and clean the door well, then apply your topcoat. 2 coats will probably work best.

If you go BM I would just ask at the store....for such a small job as a door I would spend the money for their top of the line. I have used Behr a lot and it has always performed fine for me...though I know the painting Pros here would never consider using it. I wouldn't know if it's coverage or application was bad or not since I've never used a paint store product. I avoid painting like the plague. Matter of fact...when we moved here my wife did almost all the interior and exterior painting. I did the prep and repair...she slapped it on...then I did the cleanup.

Old 09-17-12, 04:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I agree no primer should be needed, just make sure the door is clean and a light scuff sanding. I don't use BM paints often enough to know their product line but you can never go wrong using the top line coatings. You'll want an exterior latex or waterborne enamel.

Just curious, why don't you like SWP? I've used a lot of their coatings [mostly because of store location] and like most paint manufactures they have great paint..... and some cheap worthless paint

Old 09-17-12, 05:39 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I pretty much only use BM paints but I won't touch their bottom of the line stuff.

Old 09-18-12, 04:04 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Don't want to prime if I don't have to.

I have never had a problem with Behr paints. Just thought since its a small job, I would try a better paint. I have tried SW a few times, and I wasn't impressed. Maybe it was my store more than the actual paint.

One paint I purchased in Satin, and it was very, very shiny. They told me that to get a satin sheen, in that particular line, I should have purchased flat. ?? Sorry, but thats way too much guess work for me.

I also tried their Cashmere line of paints, and discovered when I wiped something off the wall with plain water, the paint comes off. When I asked about it at the store, they said, yeah thats not washable.

For the price of the paint, it should wash itself.

Old 09-18-12, 04:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I've never used any SWP satin [in any line] that was very shiny
The only gallon I've ever used of the Cashmere was the free gallon they gave me when it first came out..... and I mixed it in with some leftover SuperPaint to paint my living rm. It preformed and washed well but it wasn't pure Cashmere

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: