Pockmarked texture on painted interior wall

Old 09-16-12, 08:17 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pockmarked texture on painted interior wall

Hi all,

I am in the process of repainting the interior walls in one of the bedrooms in our home. The walls are drywall, and paint is a flat latex Behr, in the same color I painted the walls about 12 years ago. I've been rolling the paint with a Purdy 3/8" nap roller, and a good frame.

On the biggest wall in the room, I am having a very frustrating problem where a pockmark texture is appearing in certain areas. It looks somewhat like the surface of the moon. This isn't particularly visible from straight on, but when the wall is viewed from an angle, especially in the morning light, it's quite obvious.

In an attempt to fix the problem, I have repainted the wall numerous times using different techniques (the W/M pattern, rolling the entire height of the wall, etc.), and have even primed the wall and repainted it. Nothing has helped.

Can anyone explain to me what's causing this effect, and how I can fix it?

Thank you!
-Dan

Old 09-16-12, 08:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 900 Votes on 826 Posts
Hard to imagine without a picture and some background. Is the cratered texture in the paint or in the wall surface? Was it noticeable before you painted? Is the sheen different than before? How big are these craters? A picture would be worth 1000 words.

If the pock marks are small it sounds like dried air bubbles in the paint. Did you add a bunch of water to the paint? Or maybe you're using a foam roller instead of a paint roller? What brand of paint. More questions than answers, i know.

Old 09-16-12, 09:37 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The texture is absolutely in the paint itself. It is a Behr latex flat paint, and was applied with a Purdy 3/8" nap roller. I did not add any water to it. Will try and add some pics tomorrow.

Thanks,
-Dab

Old 09-17-12, 05:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 900 Votes on 826 Posts
Only other thing i could imagine is that you are getting a fisheye from the wall being greasy or waxy. If the wall wasnt clean, it should have been. Or maybe some furniture polish got on the wall somehow.

Old 09-17-12, 05:54 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Keep your roller wet, don't try to squeeze all of the paint out of it. Personally, I would use a higher nap roller than 3/8" but I don't think that in and of itself is the issue. Also, once you have this 'texture' on the wall, subsequent coats of paint may not make it disappear, you may need to skim coat with joint compound.

It could also be your paint - while I have never used that brand, it gets more complaints here than any other brand.

Old 09-17-12, 08:00 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I think X hit the most probable cause. If you can't sand out the blemishes, you'll need to skim coat and prime as Mitch suggested. Sanding will also let you know if the paint has adhered ok.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: