Walmart Paint... is it worth it?

Old 09-18-12, 11:25 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Walmart Paint... is it worth it?

Hey guys, a little new to this forum so bare with me.

I'm looking for some interior paint to change up my apartment a bit, and I noticed Walmart had a paint section, but when I asked the attendant at the store, he wasn't that helpful.

It's my first time painting, so I don't really know what to look for in a paint brand. They had a lot of colors I liked in Glidden, so I was wondering if it is any good? Or would you guys recommend something else? I'm just sort of on a budget, so nothing too pricey.

Again, thanks for all the help ahead of time!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-12, 11:35 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Apartment? You're a tenant? Have you talked to the landlord about this?

Assuming that's not an issue, I find you get better advice and supplies in a paint store than in the paint department in a larger store.

Old 09-18-12, 11:39 AM
C
No issues with the landlord, thanks for asking, and thanks for the advice!

Old 09-18-12, 11:44 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Something to keep in mind is every paint manufacturer makes different lines of paint and I would not use anyone's bottom of the line. Typically, a big store with a paint department is expected to have good prices and does so by stocking lower end products. You're going to pay more for good stuff at a paint store but it will work better and, IMO, is worth the cost. I expect to pay more than $30/gallon for my paint.

Old 09-18-12, 11:50 AM
C
Wow, I did not know that. Thanks for the heads up, mitch17!

Old 09-18-12, 02:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
You mentioned Glidden, they make some fine paint but like most paint manufactures they also make some cheap crap. I don't know anything about the paint offered at walmart but one of the big box stores sells Glidden - but it's their cheapest paint Bad move by Glidden IMO since many have bought it and thought poorly of the brand.

For the most part, any manufacture's mid grade or better paint will give good results. If price is a big concern, check at all the different places that mix and sell paint for mis tints. These are paints that were tinted and for whatever reason weren't sold. Most places sell them for half price, just be sure you have enough because you can't always get another gallon to match. It's ok to mix 2 different colors of latex together.

Old 09-18-12, 06:28 PM
D
Hi, Im also new to this forum. I have used Walmart paint and I was quite pleased with the results, and still am. I believe Walmart sells 3 Brands of Interior Latex paint (cheap, medium, expensive). If your going to go for an expensive paint though I would go to a paint store. I purchased the medium price ranged paint which was the CIL Dimensions interior Latex and I believe they still sell it.

I forget how much I paid exactly, but I bought 2 cans of CIL dimensions primer, and 4 cans of CIL dimensions paint. The room I painted is 26ft x 18ft x 10ft and I ended up with 1/4 of a can of primer (gallon cans (3.43L)) and about 2 1/4 cans of paint left over. I ended up going with a colour scheme though. I painted my cheap (new style) base boards and window trim a dark walnut oak brown, then painted the walls with China white, then painted the largest wall with an accent colour which is sort of a beigeish tan. I did 2 coats primer and 2 coats (maybe 3) paint and I did all this 2 years ago and it still looks as good as the day it was painted.
On second thoughts, I dont think I did 3 coats because I ended up using some of the left over paint to do some of the decor/furniture. So in short, I found the CIL dimensions to be excellent and gave great coverage. Becareful not to over purchase, but again, you definitely don't want to under purchase haha. Hope that helps