Interior Floor Painting (Plywood)

Old 09-18-12, 04:48 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Interior Floor Painting (Plywood)

I wasn't sure weather to post this thread under the flooring section or the painting section, but I ended up posting it here. I did a brief search but found nothing related to my topic.

Background: I am replacing the floor in my spare room by painting it; rather then spending a bunch of money for carpet, linoleum or tiles for a room that rarely gets used. The room used to have carpet tiles which were glued down, but they were removed and the floor was painted 2 years ago. Though I suspect the person who did it did not do much preparation as most of the paint has worn off. It does not look like it was primed either and it was painted with Beauti-tone Interior/Exterior Porch & Floor Acrylic Latex paint.

Preparation: I removed all the decorations and furniture, dusted EVERYTHING, wiped down the baseboards, swept, sanded needed spots, swept again, mopped floors with a weak Pinesol solution; then finally went over the floors again with a damp rag to insure there was no dust, hair balls, or any dirt anywhere. Though even after this, I still found myself getting a bit of dust balls and debris in my brush and roller.
Another inconvenience I faced was a large pool table and couch which would not fit through the door without taking it apart. Because of this, I decided to paint the room in halves. Hope it will turn out OK.
I forgot to mention, I also used a small can of plastic wood to fill as many cracks and plywood holes as possible before painting, but I would of needed 2 of the big cans at least for a good job.

Painting: I did plan on priming the floor before painting and thought that I had lots of interior/exterior latex floor primer at home; but I was wrong, it was just the paint left over from the previous floor paint job (beauti-tone). The paint I ended up buying for the current paint job is BEHR Gloss Enamel Porch & Patio Floor latex paint. It is a few shades darker than the current worn out grey and has a tinge of blue to match the walls.

I put 2 coats of paint on the back half of the room 3 days ago and it is still curing (still tacky/sticky) but I rushed the job and moved the pool table and couch to the back painted half of the room and put down wax paper under the legs of the table and couch in attempt to save the floor. Then I prepped the front half of the room and put down the first coat of paint and turned the fans on. Its currently raining out but is suppose to dry up for the rest of the week so it should have a better chance of curing.

Im going to do the 2nd and final coat tomorrow and plan on doing it really heavy to blend in the middle section. I will post back later and edit my thread to share my experience to help anyone else doing the same sort of project. ...

Old 09-18-12, 07:57 PM
D
The 2nd coat is going to be tricky to do because the first coat will still be tacky even after 2 days. So I think I am going to try laying down wax paper to walk on instead of walking on the fresh paint. Unless anyone knows of any other methods?

Im really surprised there arn't more threads in the painting forum lol

Old 09-19-12, 04:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums David!

I'm not familiar with the Behr line of coatings but I assume from the drying time it's oil base ??
It isn't a great idea to apply more paint on top of tacky paint. Humidity and cool temps slow down drying time but air circulation will help it to dry quicker. What kind of fans are you running? A ceiling fan won't help as much as a fan that can keep the air moving closer to the floor.

I don't know that the wax paper will help much..... keep us posted.

Old 09-19-12, 06:35 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
David:

There are a lot of threads in the painting forum - how many are you seeing?

Old 09-19-12, 11:29 AM
D
Thanks for the welcoming!

It does not say that it is Latex or oil base on the can, but the sales person said it was latex and it cleans up with water, though it is drying like an oil based paint. I agree that painting over tacky paint is not a good idea in terms of drying and curing, nor was it a good idea to move the pool table and couch on to the finished painted side of the room which was still tacky. I tried the wax paper and no success with preventing things sticking to the floor, but when I lifted things up it didn't look like there was much damage or dents in the floor paint either, so maybe it was worth it. I also used some wax paper to walk across the freshly painted floor to get to the pool table, and just from stepping on the wax paper for a second, the paper would stick lol.

I am running my ceiling fan and a small floor fan which is in the window sill just to keep the air moving. The windows are shut to prevent any moist air from coming in, though I may open them tomorrow if it feels dryer outside.

and I can only see 27 threads in the painting forum.

Old 09-19-12, 11:44 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
There's something wrong with how you're viewing the forums or something, there's almost 12,000 threads in the painting forum. Are you only seeing 27 on the page and need to move to subsequent pages or are you seeing something saying there is on 27 total?

Do you have the AC or a dehumidifier running to pull moisture out of the air? We make sure that's the case whenever we have the carpets cleaned in one of our units - makes a huge difference in drying time.

Old 09-19-12, 02:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If the paint cleans up with water it has to be latex or waterborne.... and the waterborne enamels I've used tend to dry faster than latex. A lot of pigment [dark colors] can slow down the drying time, also contaminants on the substrate can slow down the drying but it sounds like you cleaned it well and didn't leave any soap residue on the wood.

If the paint is still tacky, I'd be inclined to contact Behr's customer service. There is no good reason for latex paint to still be tacky 2 days later although it does typically take latex paint about a week to fully cure.

Old 09-19-12, 04:55 PM
D
It does have a lot of dark pigment in it, and as much as I cleaned the floor, I know there were still some spots which had some minor dirt build up, but I checked and there was no "fish eyeing" or anything happening. The paint adhered well and evenly. I think its just taking forever to dry due to it cooling down so much at night now and it being farely humid.

I am seeing 1-27 of 27 threads. I looked for a next page or arrow button and couldnt find anything. and thanks, yes I do have a dehumidifyer, Its in the basement though, maybe I will try it out and see how it goes. thanks

Old 09-19-12, 05:42 PM
D
hmm, I can see there are 11,000 plus threads in the painting section when Im on the main page, but when I click the painting forum link, it only shows there being 1-26 of 26 threads (it said 27 last time?)??? weird!

Old 09-20-12, 05:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
At the top and bottom of the painting forum page there should be a bar that shows how many threads in the page and arrows/numbers to go further back. Mine shows 60 threads per page. I think you can go to 'forum actions' then 'general settings' to adjust how you view the threads. I've never changed mine so I'd assume mine's at a default setting.

Another thought, is the color a standard color or was it tinted? If tint was added, is it a deep color base? If too much tint is added to the wrong base it can affect drying time. It can also cause issues with the color staying mixed.

Old 09-20-12, 02:02 PM
D
Im not sure if its standard or tinted, but the sales person switched the can I picked out because I picked the wrong base, so I assume the paint was well mixed and the person knew what they were doing.

I tried the dehumidifyer and I noticed a big difference in tackiness, but it is still slightly tacky. I ended up putting down the second and final coat today.

I also noticed that the wax paper trick actually is quite helpfull. It might stick to the paint, but it does leave any imprints or anything

Old 09-20-12, 03:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Given the long drying time and the fact that you painted over soft paint, I'd give it an extra 24 hrs after it's dry to the touch before I'd try to put the room back in service.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: