Wall Preparation

Old 01-25-01, 04:29 AM
Pat Fox
Visiting Guest
Question

I have just removed very dark wood paneling from my living room and dining room and also a one inch wood molding from around the ceiling. I have filled all the holes with dry wall compound and joined the walls and ceiling where there was anywhere from 1/4 inch to 1 inch gap. I am now ready to paint, I know I have to put some sealer on the walls and then some primer before painting on the finish coat. The sealer does not seem to cover the different colors on the walls, it just seems to disappear, do I have to put the sealer on the entire wall or does it just go on the new dry wall compound? One of the walls is also painted with a gloss paint, do I have to sand this first before putting on the primer or will primer adhere to gloss paint? Thank you for any help you can give me. Pat

Old 01-25-01, 04:48 AM
Visiting Guest
What kind of sealer are you useing? Primer itself is a sealer and the right type is all you will need to seal the sheetrock for painting. If you are unsure as to what type of paint the gloss is then I would recomend priming with Kilz and leave the other sealer out of the picture, but before you do please post back as to what you were sealing with, if it was something like Thomsons Water Sealer then you may have ruined the sheetrock from ever taking paint properly.

Also, when you fixed the gaps, you did tape it first with drywall tape prior to useing joint compound right?

Please post back.

Old 01-28-01, 05:32 AM
Pat Fox
Visiting Guest
Hi Chip, Yes, I did tape before putting on the gyp rock compound, and it turned out great for my first attempt thanks to all the help I received from this forum.

I have two different cans of sealer/primer that I can use, one is CHOIX Primer Sealer Interior-Latex Paint-P.V.A. and the other is Builder's Pride Plus Super Acrylic Primer Undercoat Interior-Exterior. Do you have any preference or suggestions.

I am going to be putting on a Latex paint and since the walls were in very bad shape I am going to try doing the ragging technique to help hide any imperfections that I may have missed. Do you know if this a hard technique for beginners? Thank you for all your help. Pat

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: