Paint Recommendations - Painting Entire New Construction House

Old 09-29-12, 05:39 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint Recommendations - Painting Entire New Construction House

I have a new construction home that I am going to be painting and need feedback regarding the quality of the paint brands available and which offer good customer service (which offer refunds in case paint is no good). Please provide paint reviews as I want to minimize risk of bad experience as having to paint 3000 square foot home in next few weeks, not just 1 room...

Old 09-29-12, 06:30 PM
R
Benjamin Moore is the best although expensive. Sherwin Williams is also very good.
Acceptable :Home depot -Behr or Glidden, Lowes-valspar. Make sure you use the right primer,ie, primer for sheetrock (new or existing). Most home center will accept returns if paint is unused and the colors are not special colors.

Old 09-30-12, 09:11 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Yes, BM and SWP are good but every manufacturer makes multiple lines of paint and I would not use anyone's bottom of the line.

You will find better products and services at a paint store than a paint department in a big store.

Old 09-30-12, 09:19 AM
W
Check out "Ben" by Ben Moore. I've been using it quite a bit over the past year and have found it to be excellent. Kind of the new mid grade BM paint. Covers nicely, primer built in, low VOC, etc.

Oh, did I mention it's pretty cheap comparably?

As others have said, DO NOT use any manufacturers bottom of the line paint. Some customers have forced me to use these in the past. In my opinion, you could use water with food colouring and get similar results. I'm never happy with the results.

Old 09-30-12, 11:25 AM
Z
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Do you guys think California brand paint is good? I know consumer reports always rated it very highly. I know nothing but did use it on my exterior because of the consumer reports high ranking and it still seems to look pretty good after years.

But I think it was pretty expensive. It was hard to find and I don't know whether it's worth the money.

Old 09-30-12, 12:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Augusta, is this an exterior paint job or interior??? OH, welcome to the forums!

Old 09-30-12, 03:29 PM
S
Group Moderator
Never used California brand but it could be good - where would one buy it? I think that would drive my decision whether to use it more than anything else without any other information, as I would stay away from it if you can only get it at a big box store.

Larry: I inferred from comment "not just 1 room..." that this is at least inside, just don't know whether we're talking outside as well.

Old 10-01-12, 04:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
While I've heard of California Paints, I've never used any. I normally used SWP's ProMar 200 on new residential work. It's the best of their contractors line. I feel it's their best economical paint. Whatever brand you choose - make sure it's their mid grade or better!

Paint warranties are pretty iffy because so much depends on the prep, primer and application. Your best bet [once you've decided on brand] is to talk to the paint rep, explain the job and let him know you intend to purchase all your painting supplies at his store.

Old 10-01-12, 10:41 AM
Z
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Didnít want to try and hijack the thread Ė but I figured the California paint question could be of interest to Augusta.

While I've heard of California Paints, I've never used any. I normally used SWP's ProMar 200 on new residential work. It's the best of their contractors line. I feel it's their best economical paint. Whatever brand you choose - make sure it's their mid grade or better!

Paint warranties are pretty iffy because so much depends on the prep, primer and application. Your best bet [once you've decided on brand] is to talk to the paint rep, explain the job and let him know you intend to purchase all your painting supplies at his store.
Thanks mark. Excellent advice that Iíll remember.

Never used California brand but it could be good - where would one buy it? I think that would drive my decision whether to use it more than anything else without any other information, as I would stay away from it if you can only get it at a big box store.
Thanks mitch. Yes I was surprised how hard it was to find that paint. Had me confused because if Consumer Reports ranks it so highly why is it so hard to find? I live in the suburbs, lot of stores around and only 2 had it within 50 miles. One an old-fashioned small hardware store in an NJ town with many historic homes, the other a small old-fashioned paint supply store. One guy stopped carrying the paint.

Old 10-01-12, 07:32 PM
A
It is interior paint that I need to purchase. Thanks to everyone so far for the feedback. I was wondering if anyone has any experience using Dulux paint?

Old 10-02-12, 04:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I've used Dulux commercial oil base coatings yrs ago but haven't used any of their residential coatings. Have you talked to your friends, neighbors or co workers about the coatings they have used?

Old 10-02-12, 04:45 AM
S
Group Moderator
I tried to use Dulux as it was what the builder used in my house but I had trouble with them when I tried to get more paint a few years later, as they had failed to indicate exactly what was in the bucket I brought to them and therefore could not provide me with more paint - that was when I switched to using Benjamin Moore.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: