Skimcoating

Old 01-26-01, 07:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Chipfo I've received good advice from you before thank you; could you please help me with the following:
I'd like to skim coat the entire downstairs part of the house (living room, dining room, hallway, possibly kitchen). Tips/pointers - specific procedures (mud, sand with "x" grit sandpaper, mud again, then sand with "y" grit sandpaper)? I was planning on breaking the wallsapce into manageable sections then sand first (is this necessary), mud (regular joint caompound - or is there something better), sand the crap out of it, mud again where needed, another sanding - then primer. Techniques/ideas, etc. are appreciated.

Old 01-27-01, 05:25 AM
Visiting Guest
seanquigley,

Glad to be of help, I am going to say, if you are not familiar with mud tools then I would suggest considering getting some bids from pro mud men, some people do OK by themselves but most will make a mess then have a pro come fix it. But if you are determined, then you will need a mud pan, 6 inch taping knife, 10 inch taping knife,150 grit drywall sandpaper, a drywall hand sander or pole sander (they make sandpaper to fit these) and joint compound. On large textured walls I use a vibrating sander and 60 grit paper and run over quikly just to knock down the high spots, knock off dust with a broom, I thin the mud a LITTLE (about 1 cup water or less per box of mud) Mix in a 5 gallon bucket useing a large drill and padle, they also have hand-stompers that look like huge potatoe mashers, useing the 10 inch to skim with (the six inch for puting the mud in your pan) Get a little mud on your 10" knife reach up and skim down, wipe kife on edge of pan and do again until you reach about waist level, then smooth down and remove exess (remember - skim) then go to the floor up, keep it clean and smooth as possible, keep your knife wiped on the pan, overlap skims about an inch or so. Depending on the texture, two coats is often nesasary, sometimes in a different direction of the first, like the first is up and down, the second may need to be run sideways, it is a judgement call.

I would suggest trying on one wall, both skim coats(if two are needed) and you will get a feel of it and know better if it will be worth calling a pro, most people will call the pro in

Inbetween coats you can take the six inch knife and touch up with to help get a smoother second coat, allow everything to dry before re-peating or touching up or sanding. Mud work is an art, it takes practice and skill to perfect, don't get frustrated if it turns out messy, just be sure and stop if you find yourself making a big mess. When I am teaching a helper, he does closets only for a while, no way I would turn him loose in a living room

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: