painting over cabinets??

Old 01-26-01, 11:17 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

due to the high costs of utilities these days my wife and i took it upon our selves to repaint our bathroom. after removing the wallpaper, and cleaning all surfaces with tsp , we decided to paint the cabinets also. we bought some acryllic paint ( whats the difference between acryllic and latex ?) and painted the cabinets , after painting we removed the tape and huge chunks of paint peeled off the cabinets. whats the deal? i know latex will not paint over oil base paint, but how can you tell the difference? and if it is oil base, how can i paint latex over it?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-01, 12:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Oil paint vs latex

kobyo

I understand your frustration, I to did not know how to tell oil based from latex either. It has been my experience that in most loder homes (20+) that the paint is oil based (ob). Latex paint will not adhere to ob paint period eventually it is going to flake off . You have some options though: you can strip to bare wood (If you are going to strip it off you may want to have it checked for lead first lead paint waste is considered hazardous). Use a ob PRIMER and then your latex paint. or you can do what I do scrap, strip all paint that will come off then oil based primer and use oil based paint . I have found that on trim / cabinets that latex just will not hold up over time on these high use surfaces. Especially in a kitchen or a bath were humidity and frequent wiping/ cleaning occurs.

Please let me know If I have been any help to you!

Old 01-26-01, 05:44 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
remove the tape while the paint is still wet.

Don't let the paint dry before removing the tape. Remove it within an hour or so of painting that part.

Old 01-27-01, 04:53 AM
Visiting Guest
kobyo,

To tell whether between existing paint is oil based or latex, get some Goof-Off from the paint store, rub a hidden area with the goof-off on a rag, if it starts removing the paint then it is latex, if not then it is oil. In order to paint latex over oil based the surface must be cleaned and lightly sanded then primed with an oil based primer prior to useing latex just like Carl stated. But Carl, most all painters I know (myself included) still use oil paint on cabinets, doors and trim, so I would expect it even on brand new homes (especially on brand new homes)

If you are concerned for lead in old paint, it is a concern for houses built prior to 1978, here is some reading on it:

http://www.epa.gov/opptintr/lead/

http://www.aeclp.org/

http://www.homestoreproducts.com/ Testing kits

I also agree with Bobf, most pro's will freehand and not use the tape to cut-in, you must have a quality brush to do this, like Purdy.

Old 01-27-01, 09:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking thanks guys

i wish i were a genie and could make it all be painted with the nod of my head or the snap of my fingers but i recon that aint gonna happen, thanks for the info guys, live and learn ( the hard way )

kobyo