Best primer/paint to use for auto chassis parts

Old 10-30-12, 08:08 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Best primer/paint to use for auto chassis parts

What I have is an axle for a SUV I need to prime then paint to withstand roadspray, harsh elements etc.

This is not going to be a show finish but naturally I want it to look decent and be durable. The axle is currently out of the vehicle and I have wire brushed it, lightly sanded the hard to reach areas and for the most part there are only tiny spots of light rust in the deep crevices and I will break them up with a pick of some type.

I just want to keep the surface from being covered in rust and getting a primer to bond the best it can is the most important I would think. The surface is not bare metal nor has it been blasted, would an epoxy primer be the best choice like the Spray Max Epoxy Primer from Eastwood?

That can is expensive which is another reason I ask. Would a primer from a HVLP gun be better than the Spray Max?

I thought about the Chassis Saver and the Rhino but I don't think I can get the surface prepped for those and unless everything is right, they can be a huge mess.

Would a few cans of Rustoleum primer be just as good or is the surface not prepped for those? Needless to say once the axle is in, I'm not going to remove it to repaint it, just touch it up.

I have used Rustoleum with great success but not for something like this being exposed to all the elements.

Here's a pic of the axle now:

Old 10-31-12, 04:28 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
Since it isn't a show car, I would think Rustoleum primer and paint would be good enough. You could go one step further and get equipment enamel from Tractor Supply and add their hardner to the paint. It's almost always better to apply paint thru a cup gun or HVLP than a rattle can. The coatings in an aerosol can is thinned drastically so it can atomize and come out the tip. It's also easier to control the spray with a gun.

Old 10-31-12, 04:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
I would also treat any remaining rust spots with a rust conversion coating before priming.

I use a spray Loctite product:

Rust Converter Spray, Extend Rust Neutralizer from Loctite Adhesives

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: