How Long to Wait Before Applying a New Color

Old 11-21-12, 09:18 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How Long to Wait Before Applying a New Color

Hi all. First time posting in the painting forum. I just finished up painting my living room what turned out to be a horrible yellowish/green color. Needless to say, it's getting covered up with something a little more conservative. How long do I have to wait before I can apply a new color? I know 24 hours between coats of the same color, but how about new colors? The paint rep said latex paint takes a month to cure and that if I'm applying a new color I should wait it out because the paints could "blend and cause a mess". I thought that was a bit excessive and that a few days would be plenty. Thoughts?

Old 11-21-12, 09:40 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Live with it a month?

I'd go with the 24 hours.

Old 11-21-12, 09:52 AM
S
What brand of paint are you using?

I don't recall ever having any issues with changing the wall color the next day. Now if you applied a primer and 2 coats of finish within 36 hrs - that could be an issue because none of the paint has had sufficient time to dry/cure.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...#ixzz2Csh0RubB
The original paint was Behr paint/primer in one. I finished 2 coats within 3-4 days... that was a week ago. It dried very quickly. The paint that's going over it is also Behr paint/primer in one. Probably overkill but I always get great results with the Behr stuff so I continue to use it. I can't imagine I'll see any issues. Thanks for the responses guys.

Old 11-21-12, 09:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
What brand of paint are you using?

I don't recall ever having any issues with changing the wall color the next day. Now if you applied a primer and 2 coats of finish within 36 hrs - that could be an issue because none of the paint has had sufficient time to dry/cure.

Old 11-21-12, 09:56 AM
S
Sorry... double post.

The original paint was Behr paint/primer in one. I finished 2 coats within 3-4 days... that was a week ago. It dried very quickly. The paint that's going over it is also Behr paint/primer in one. Probably overkill but I always get great results with the Behr stuff so I continue to use it. I can't imagine I'll see any issues. Thanks for the responses guys.

Old 11-21-12, 10:18 AM
S
Group Moderator
At this point, assuming it actually has primer in it in the first place, why are you paying for primer in your paint?

Sorry, I just don't understand these all in one products.

Old 11-21-12, 10:36 AM
S
I won't be paying for it anymore after doing some research. I wasn't really thinking when I purchased the second batch of paint. I just went in, disgusted that I had wasted money on 2 gallons of nasty yellow paint already, and just got the same thing, in a different color of course. They advertise it as a premium paint that you should use all the time. I might be officially getting off the Behr bandwagon after a.) being led astray by their need to sell me primer in everything and b.) not getting the best advice from the rep at this particular big box store. Damn. Oh well, live and learn I guess. In the end, it sounds like I can resume painting though Thanks again guys.

Old 11-21-12, 02:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I admit I don't have much experience with Behr's coatings but the problem with the paint depts in the big box stores is most of the coatings are based on low price rather than quality. Then add the fact that normally their employees have little experience/training with paint and it's easy to get inferior paint and bad advice

Glidden has always made some great coatings but their coatings that they sell to the big box store is their cheapest line - I wouldn't buy it at Glidden or the big box. IMO they made a big mistake selling their paint at the big box because now there are a lot of people that are convinced that Glidden paint isn't much good. The better paints at your local paint store do cost more but when you factor in the better coverage and how it looks/wears on the wall - is it really more expensive? Also when a salesperson at a paint store doesn't know the answer, they can always ask one of the pros that shop there

Old 11-21-12, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I think I've said before...I've never had any issues with Behr paint (other than what I caused myself). That said...I hate painting and do so little of it that I might not know the difference between good and bad...at least when it comes to ease of application and such. I know some people base their buying on CR and other reviews...and I have to say they are pretty accurate (in my experience) for what they report. My homes exterior trim painted with Behr is holding up just fine even in the extreme sun and heat we have here. The problem is the review places only test it after application....I don't think they have expert painters giving their opinions.

Anyway..thats just my experience.

The advise thing I totally agree with. Who would you ask for advise on your car? The guy selling parts at Autozone or a guy who works on cars for a living?

Old 11-23-12, 06:18 AM
S
Group Moderator
There are two or three mods here who have used Behr with success (including Vic). But, you will also find, if you look back through old threads, that no brand has more reported bad results on this site than Behr. Personally, I've never used the stuff so I can't tell you anything based on my experience.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: