Discoloration After Repainting Bathroom Ceiling

Old 12-13-12, 04:43 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Discoloration After Repainting Bathroom Ceiling

Some background first:

28 yr. old hallway bathroom getting a total remake. Removed old wallpaper and had some sheetrock paper tear away. Not down to the gypsum, just the first layer.

Read that I should seal these patches with an oil based sealer so I got a quart of Zinser and and also primed over the original old Duron latex flat paint on the ceiling. Ceiling is a stipple finish (NOT popcorn) but looks like little stalagtites or is it stalagmites??? Pain to paint, but a three inch brush allowed me to get into all of the nooks and crannies.

Allowed to dry for 3+ days and put a coat of Zinser Ceiling (latex) paint on top of the oil primer.

Just came back from a weeks vacation and I have what looks like orange/rust colored spots all through the ceiling on the stipple. Not huge spots but definitely noticeable, so a repaint is in order. Looks like minor veining on a lot of the stipple. NO water leaks from attic above, so it isn't a water from above issue, but bathroom fan doesn't suck out any moisture, even though it sounds like a jet engine.

I will be putting a new high capacity fan in the bathroom, but want to get the paint issue resolved before going any further.

Should I have gone latex, then oil, (although I read here you want the top coat to breath, hence the latex top coat) or used something else. Always though Zinser was top shelf stuff, which it probably means there was user error involved.

Open to any and all suggestions short of re-drywalling or scraping the ceiling.

Thanks.

Old 12-13-12, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 905 Votes on 831 Posts
Unpainted drywall texture and flat ceiling paints will absorb all sorts of nasty discoloration from the air... smoke from smokers, oily haze from cooking, dirt and dust that sticks to the ceiling from high humidity, etc. These are contaminates that will collect on the surface when a latex paint is applied.

So your best bet will be to prime the ceiling with an oil based primer, such as Kilz original, or any other oil based primer / stainblocker. Once that is dry you can apply your latex ceiling paint. I would suggest you use a heavy nap roller- one for the primer and one for the paint- and only use the brush for cutting in the edges.

What was the name of the Zinsser paint you used? Zinsser is just the brand, they have various types of primer. It could be that you had some stubborn stains that one coat of primer just wouldn't cover. A quart of primer won't go very far so it could also be that the primer was applied too thin. Nicotine and tar are some of the worst stains to cover.

Old 12-14-12, 03:48 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
As asked above - which Zinnser primer did you use? also what is the size of the ceiling and how much area was patched on the walls? Was the primer mixed well? Any particular reason you primed the ceiling?

Old 12-14-12, 05:47 AM
S
I used Zinsser Cover Stain High Hide Oil based primer/sealer/stain killer. That went on over the original Duron flat latex paint and after the oil based primer was dry, I painted the ceiling with Zinsser latex Ceiling Paint which is listed as an all in one paint and primer.

No issue with smokers/nicotine as nobody smokes in the house. After 28 years, I'm sure there was some environmental items that were absorbed into the original paint, but I figured that is what the primer should cover/hide. No visible stains in old ceiling.

Bathroom is only 5X8 and I thought I applied sufficient primer, but maybe I went too thin on this.

So what to do now? Do I re-prime with the oil based primer/sealer and then re-coat with the latex ceiling paint?

Thanks for the replies so far.

Old 12-14-12, 07:22 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
You have me stumped, there's nothing jumping out as the cause of the discoloration. Can you take a couple of pictures so we can see it as well?

Old 12-14-12, 09:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like you applied enough primer but it's hard to say for sure without being there. Pics might help. More than likely another coat of oil primer followed by latex paint should fix the issue. I assume there isn't a shower in this bath.... if there is, you need to top coat with latex enamel.

Was the ceiling paint new? [no rust anywhere on/in the can] roller clean before applying the paint?

Old 12-14-12, 03:51 PM
S
I'll try to get a few photos tomorrow when there is some natural light in the bathroom.

There is a tub/shower unit in this bath which is why I figured the oil based primer/sealer followed up by a top coat of latex paint specifically designed for ceilings would work well.

The Zinsser Ceiling Paint was brand new. No rust in or on the can.

Old 12-15-12, 04:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ceiling paints are typically flat latex and are NOT suitable for bath rm ceilings! Bare minimum for a bath ceiling is latex enamel. A bath enamel is even better as it is formulated for the harsher environment and has extra mildewcide. Flat latex on a bath w/shower ceiling is apt to absorb moisture, latex enamel [any sheen] will repel moisture.

Old 12-15-12, 08:08 AM
S
Hopefully, these photos will download so you can see what I have been trying to describe.

These were taken right after my wife had a shower this morning. The orangeish/rust discoloration is actually wet, most likely from the steam from the hot water condensing on the ceiling.

I see from marksr's comment that I have used the wrong ceiling paint--latex flat instead of latex enamel. I included a couple of shots of the Zinsser ceiling paint that I used.

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/...ps34fcce33.jpg
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/...ps62a1b33d.jpg
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/...ps762f97de.jpg
http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/...pse0723589.jpg

Thanks again and awaiting you replies on how to correct this mess.

Old 12-15-12, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Wow...thats pretty bad. No Expert....but has anyone asked if that will wipe off when damp like that?

Also...on another tack.....I think you need a better bath fan if that much moisture accumulates.

Old 12-15-12, 08:30 AM
W
Got me stumped as well, and that is pretty bad. Zinsser Cover Stain is in my opinion one of the best oil primers out there. In general, I love Zinsser as a company that makes great primers. They should stick to primers.

A while back, I tried their "permawhite" or something like that on my bathroom ceiling. Micro bubbles everywhere. Thousands of them. Dried that way too. Couldn't figure out what I did wrong. Sanded, dusted, repainted. Same thing happened. Took half can back to store and got a can of BM Kitchen and bath. Two coats and ceiling looked beautiful. Zinsser should stick to primers.

Old 12-15-12, 09:52 AM
S
Just waiting to get this ceiling corrected until I put in the new high velocity fan that has already been purchased.

Didn't have any issues with discoloration after several days of showers when only the oil primer was on. Only appeared after the top coat of the Zinsser Ceiling Paint. Going to be a pain cleaning off this discoloration, but it does come off, just a lot of dabbing in between the nooks and crannies of the stipple ceiling. Luckily, most is centered over the tub/shower area, so I won't have to do the entire 5x8' ceiling.

I'll be taking the Ceiling Paint back along with a photo on my cell phone in case I get any flak from the store.

Standing by for suggestions on what to do next--Clean the ceiling, re-prime with Zinsser oil based primer (good coat) and then a top quality latex enamel bathroom ceiling paint? Any other suggestions besides the BM brand for a ceiling paint?

Thanks for the replies so far.

Old 12-15-12, 10:21 AM
W
I would strongly recommend going over the stained areas again with the Cover Stain. Top coat with Ben Moore Kitchen and bath pearl.

Just my thoughts.

Old 12-15-12, 12:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
To be safe, it would be best to apply another coat of oil primer although it's possible that the primer might not be needed. If you want to skip the primer, I'd apply a brush full of paint over the discolored paint both to see if it covers the stain and if any of the rust color appears over the latex enamel. Use the shower several times before determining it's ok to skip the primer. SWP along with most paint manufactures have a bath paint in their line up.

I've only used Zinnser's PermaWhite a few times but don't recall having any issues with it. PW does have a great reputation as a mold 'proof' paint. Didn't know they made a ceiling paint but I used a ceiling paint once that had the goes on pink dries white feature - probably the worst looking ceiling I've ever painted

Old 12-16-12, 05:06 AM
S
Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys.

I won't be getting to this until Thursday as I have to work for the next four days, but it will be a full recoat of the Zinsser Cover Stain after I try to clean off any of the discoloration.

The Zinsser Ceiling Paint I used had the goes on pink, dries white feature. I think I'll skip the gimmicks when it comes to paint from now on and just go with a high quality, brand name latex enamel bath/kitchen paint for the final coat.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 08-01-13, 12:33 PM
N
How did it resolve?

Sgtgerryf,
I am curious to know how your problem resolved. I googled this issue and came across this thread. We are having the exact same problem with our little bathroom. No windows, exhaust fan in place. I just put the stain blocker primer on (ZINSSER) and it was fine. Good coverage of stains. I looked at your pictures and they are the same as ours.
Once I put on the flat acrylic latex ceiling paint, the stains reappeared.
Help!!

Old 08-01-13, 12:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums northernlakes!

Which Zinnser primer did you use? Do you know what caused the stains you are trying to seal?

Old 08-04-13, 04:46 AM
S
Problem Fixed

Northernlakes,

I believe my issues was the Zinsser Ceiling paint. It was the kind that goes on pink and dries white. Once it got moisture on it, the "rust" stains appeared, but it was probably the pink coloration bleeding through.

Dabbed off all of the staining with a damp cloth, let the ceiling dry and recoated the entire ceiling with Zinssser oil Cover Stain.

Once that was dry, I used Behr Kitchen and Bath latex enamel and have had no issues.

Hope your works out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: