Painting Veneer?

Old 01-30-01, 08:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Hello :-)

We are in the process of redecorating our kitchen. To our complete and utter dismay, though not surprise, the bases to our kitchen cabinets are cheap wood with a veneer finish. Our plan was to paint the cabinets an eggshell or off white to complete the look we're desiring. The cabinet doors and drawers are in fact, wood. It is only the bases that have this disgusting finish. I have not been able to find any information regarding painting veneer finishes, or even if it can be done at all. I would so greatly appreciate any information regarding painting over veneer, or even some possible other solutions that could help. The current cabinet color is hideously dark and refacing is just too much above what we can afford at the time. Thank you so very much in advance for any help :-)

Sincerely,
Sharr

Old 01-31-01, 06:08 AM
Visiting Guest
Sharr, you did not mention what type of veneer you are reffering to, most of the time when people reffer to veneer it is a very thin sheet of high quality wood glued on lower quality wood for appearence, I am going to assume this is not the veneer you are talking about. You can probably lightly sand the veneer with a 180 or 220 grit sandpaper and prime it with a quality oil based primer such as Kilz, then paint it along with the rest of your cabinets.

Hope this helps, post back with the specific material if you think this is not the solution.

Old 01-31-01, 09:11 AM
Visiting Guest
Type of veneer

Hi :-)

Thank you for responding. I apologize for not being thorough in my first posting. Yes, the veneer I am referring to is an extremely thin sheet that has been glued to cheaper wood. On the side of one of the bases, it has lifted and peeled away a tiny bit. If you lift it, it tears upwards in a strip. It is paper thin. There is wood beneath it, but it is probably very bad grade pine or something of the like. Is it possible to prepare this kind of veneer surface for painting? Also, before this task is attempted, are there special considerations for problems later with a painted veneer surface, (bubbling, lifting, etc...)? Thank you so very much for you help.

Sincerely,
Sharr

Old 01-31-01, 06:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Yes, use my instructions above and it should adhere well, be sure to cut out or glue down the peeled corner.

Old 02-01-01, 01:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks so much Chipfo, For your fast and very helpful replies! You've made my year. :-) I know the base coating you speak of, I used it years ago before painting a yard sale table find for our daughter's room. Thanks ever so much again, for you help with our cabinets. It's going to be nice to be rid of the dark cabinets.

Sincerely,
Sharr

Old 02-01-01, 04:43 AM
Visiting Guest
You are welcome, as I was re-reading this thread I noticed I specified to kilz the piece you were speaking of, when priming the entire cabinets may be in order (sanding and wiping away dust before and between coats), if these cabinets are stained and sealed. And don't forget to putty where needed before priming and caulking where needed after priming and sanding (paintable latex caulk) like around where they meet the walls, the trim, etc. using a wet finger to smooth and a wet rag to wipe up any mess.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: