What Primer Will Adhere To Paintable Latex Caulk?

Old 01-15-13, 03:51 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What Primer Will Adhere To Paintable Latex Caulk?

I want to paint some window trim and paintable latex caulk with oil based enamel. Both are currently painted with latex paint. (This was a result of having replacement windows installed)

Based on my research in the archives, I believe for a lasting result the old latex paint and caulk should be primed first.

I bought some STIX Waterbourne primer which will work fine on the trim covered with latex paint but the can says any caulk should be removed before applying the primer.

Its not practical to remove the caulk, so the question is what brand of primer can I use that will adhere to the caulk so I can paint it and the trim with oil based paint?

Thank you

Old 01-15-13, 04:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 895 Votes on 821 Posts
Does it say "remove caulk" or "remove old caulk"?

I think they are probably just saying that the new caulking will stick better if it is applied to the primed surface. You can prime over the caulking, it will be fine.

Old 01-16-13, 05:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
With the exception of silicone caulk, I've never had any issues with applying primer over dry caulking although I'm not familiar with that particular primer. Generally latex paint doesn't need a primer to be top coated with latex or oil base paint.

Why are you wanting to use oil base paint? Personally I'd use a waterborne enamel. It dries almost as hard as oil base but dries faster and doesn't yellow over time.

Old 01-16-13, 07:09 AM
T
Does it say "remove caulk" or "remove old caulk"?
I checked the can and you are right it does say to "remove old caulk"

Old 01-16-13, 07:27 AM
T
marksr

With the exception of silicone caulk, I've never had any issues with applying primer over dry caulking although I'm not familiar with that particular primer. Generally latex paint doesn't need a primer to be top coated with latex or oil base paint.
marksr, I guess I had it backwards. You need to prime oil base if top coating with latex.

Why are you wanting to use oil base paint? Personally I'd use a waterborne enamel. It dries almost as hard as oil base but dries faster and doesn't yellow over time.
marksr, I'm not opposed to switching to waterbourne but I have a lot of trim in the house painted with oil base in the same color and I have a 1/2 gal of it left. Its Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo Low Luster Enamel which looks good and I believe is pretty good paint?

Plus, I think I'd have to prime the existing trim to cover it with waterbourne enamel, right?

Perhaps I should consider converting all future repainting to waterbourne even though it would require the extra step of priming first. Oil is a pita especially for a DIY'er.

Old 01-16-13, 09:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
The oil enamel you have should do a good job and it's nice to have all the woodwork painted with the same type of enamel. I just assumed you were changing from latex to oil base

I had one paint rep tell me that it was ok to use the waterborne over oil base but I'm not sure I trust that and haven't done it that way.... so I can't say with certainty one way or the other.

Oil is a pita especially for a DIY'er
I used to be a firm believer in using oil enamel on interior woodwork but years of overexposure to solvents and the introduction of waterborne enamels caused me to switch to waterborne.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: