rough interior paint problem

Old 01-27-13, 02:54 PM
W
wwc
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy rough interior paint problem

I primed the bedroom walls of a room and then painted it with Valspar satin paint and when it dried it has a rough texture that I don't like, It has a chalky feel to it.

I used a 3/8 nap roller and even with the trim I painted with a brush has the same feel to it.

what is wrong ?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-13, 04:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Did any contaminants get in the primer/paint? was the substrate clean when you applied the paint?
More than likely the fix would involve sanding the wall/trim and applying clean paint. Straining the paint would insure there are no contaminants in it. They sell straining bags at most paint stores or you could use a woman's panty hose to strain the paint thru.

Old 01-28-13, 06:02 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
If the same paint on different surfaces has this issue, it makes me think something got in the paint.

Old 01-29-13, 10:04 AM
W
wwc
I cleaned to surface walls with a damp cloth to remove any dust from patching and primed the whole room with Zinsser Bullseye 123 Primer, let dry for a few days and painted. yes both brushed and rolled surface is chalky.

I contacted valspar but haven't heard back yet.

Old 01-29-13, 10:33 AM
W
Sometimes primer dries kind of with a rough texture to it. Usually only on freshly installed drywall though. Likely from residual dust from sanding. This sounds like it was a repaint though. I'd consider using a sanding pole and going over it with 150 grit to remove the rough texture (assuming it's not crazy rough), dust and applying one coat which should suffice. This is assuming of course that it's not the paint that has the problem.

I've never had any problems with Bull 123 in my experience. It's pretty much the only non oil based primer I ever use.

Old 01-29-13, 11:54 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
If it were the wall only, I would think Bill would be dead-on. Given that the trim also had the same issue, I was leaning toward the paint. That said, Bill's idea is a good way to proceed anyway, as another coat of paint after sanding should rule the paint versus the surface in or out.

Old 01-29-13, 12:19 PM
W
wwc
I have another room to get finished and I will have to get back to this room later, it's going to be a kids room and I may wind up repainting it later anyway but I don't want to make the same mistake with this new room. I say new room only that it is the new room I am going to paint.
this new room has been skim coated by pro's and wiped down and I need to prime and paint like the other room and I don't want this chalky texture again.
I like bull 123, had much better luck sealing surfaces with it over other brands.

Old 01-29-13, 02:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It never hurts to give the wall a light sanding after the primer dries. It promotes good adhesion and helps to eliminate any roughness in the primer. If you are using the same top coat, I think I'd test paint a small area and see how it does. If it's rough - strain the paint.

Old 10-22-13, 09:13 PM
R
primer left rough texture on surface

Hello,

what wildbill said sounds exactly like my problem. I got new gyproc installed then primed the walls and am now left with a very rough texture on the surface. Wondering if I should be applying another coat of primer or if it's ok to just sand it down and then paint? Not sure if it matters but the primer I used is COOP interior latex. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Old 10-23-13, 03:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Randy!

Did you remove the sanding dust from the walls prior to priming? I'm not familiar with COOP coatings

Old 10-23-13, 06:01 AM
W
This is pretty much standard operating procedure. You're never going to get all the drywall dust off walls/ceilings after the final sand. Prime, let dry, sand, paint, paint.

I don't see any reason to apply another coat of primer.

The sanding of the rough primer won't leave as much if any residue on your surfaces. Primers are also very sandable, just don't try to crush it.