Exterior Patio

Old 01-31-13, 05:51 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Exterior Patio

I have an exterior 14 x 14 feet patio constructed with 2"x2" aluminum posts and the 12" high kick plate at the bottom is also made of aluminum I guess around 1/32" thick. I installed all these about 12 years ago and paint all with an oil base white enamel.

The paint is now starting to peel off and I wonder what is the easiest way to remove all paint and either leave it aluminum or re paint

Old 01-31-13, 06:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You could probably use a paint stripper to remove all the primer/paint. I'm sure it would require some polishing if you elected to leave it unpainted. IMO it would be easier/quicker to scrape the loose, sand it a little and repaint.

Any special reason you used oil base? Did you paint both sides, or just the exterior?

Old 01-31-13, 06:29 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just noticed you are in Canada. Here in my neck of the woods (also Canada), oil paints are no longer being made or sold. Some specialty products are still available. Otherwise, all remaining stock was put on a clearance shelf and sold off at 1/2 price. Good riddance.

If you are going to repaint, you will need to prime with a good quality conversion primer before applying a quality latex exterior paint. Of course this is after following Marksr's suggestions above.

Old 01-31-13, 01:04 PM
Thank you both for the info

I just used oil base paint because I thought it will be more durable for exterior use and as a mater of fact I think it did last much longer than expected and I did not use a primer. Perhaps that is the reason I used oil based paint because I was told that paint will not stick to aluminum without a primer and I didn’t have the time to prime it. Also I did paint both sides

Regarding oil paint sold, in Quebec it's still available although not in great choices neither is a paint I prefer to use.

As to the primers, I don’t believe that is required and never used one in my life. Back in 1985 I build a house myself and paint the interior gyprock with no primer and everybody was saying that I'm crazy. I also used the cheapest paint you can buy (I don’t believe in expensive paints and never used them either) and 15 years later when I sold that house the interior paint was like brand new. I have done many projects in my life successfully and I always use no primers with the least expensive paint you can buy

Sorry, I don’t want to sound like I know everything, actually I know very little LOL, but that is my experience and has served my well

Old 01-31-13, 01:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
As a professional painter I do believe in using the right primer for the job at hand although repaints often don't need a primer. That said, I've painted bare aluminum without a primer with good results but I always used latex paint with Flood's EmulsaBond added. I'm a little surprised the thin panels held up good with oil base. Oil base paints dry to a harder film than latex and will often peel on substrates that can flex.

If you want to switch to latex paint you can probably just get by with cleaning the exterior with TSP [rinse well] as the oil paint has probably deteriorated enough for latex house paint to adhere ok. The interior side would likely need a primer before switching to latex.

Old 01-31-13, 02:33 PM
Thanks Mark, will do it this way

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: