Pinting Old Plaster Ceiling

Old 02-03-01, 03:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have an old plaster ceiling that had a water leak above it years ago. No water problem now but the paint on the ceiling is flaking off. Some comes off and other places is on too good to scrape off without damaging the plaster.
What can I use to make the ceiling look uniform instead of mottled from the old paint I could not get off?
Thanks.

Old 02-04-01, 03:38 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Good old fashioned filler and sand paper...Nuff said.

Old 02-05-01, 05:42 AM
Visiting Guest
Thats what I was afraid of! I am using joint compound as the filler since it is thin already and the difference between the paster and old paint is so small.
I thought there might be some trick that the pros might know to save me time. Oh Well....back to mud and sandpaper!
Thanks.

Old 02-05-01, 05:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Skip the sandpaper. I have had great success with a wet sponge. Wipe down the mud and rinse the sponge out in water. No dust!

Old 02-06-01, 08:00 AM
Visiting Guest
I'll try the sponge...the dust is bad already.
I have also found a new trick: the paint can be scraped off with a garden edger (hoe with blade turned up to in line with handle.)

What I am now trying to do is scrape the worst places off and consolidate those into larger areas so I can mud straight lines instead of the whole ceiling. I am afraid that if I mud over loose paint that eventually it will flake of and I will have to do it again.

Old 02-06-01, 09:52 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
OK..Just a thought..can you buy flexible decorators caulk in the states,the stuff that comes in tubes??
Well,if you can,after you have scraped all the loose stuff off,squirt the caulk onto bad edges and then smooth off(thus filling the edges) using a wide filling knife or a wallcovering "smoother".....While the caulk is still wet,paint over it with a brush....This painting action actually smooths out the caulk and should leave an acceptable finish. Leave for 12 hours and decorate ceiling with two full coats of paint...This is`nt really possible with powder filler as it is too unstable..and usually ends up on your brush!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: