Latex Painted Over Water Based Enamel?

Old 02-15-13, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Latex Painted Over Water Based Enamel?

I'm remodeling a small bathroom. It currently has two colors of paint on it plus (now) some freshly taped and mudded drywall. I wanted to paint the whole thing white as a primer to give it some uniformity before the final color goes on.

I found in my basement most of a gallon of white, water based, semi gloss enamel with some sort of primer (Behr from HD) in it.

Can I use this as a primer, then put latex over it?

Thanks,
Greg

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-13, 07:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
Dangit, I made a response without noticing you have some fresh joint compound on the wall. Yes, you would want to prime these walls but I would use an actual primer, my preference being something from Zinsser.

Then two coats (because I'm into overkill) of a quality latex kitchen and bath paint from a paint store, not a paint department.

Old 02-15-13, 10:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
Short answer - you could thin the Behr a little and use it for a primer but like Mitch said - a separate dedicated primer would be better.

How old is your house? do you know what type of paint is currently on the walls? If it's oil base enamel you need to use a solvent based primer before switching to latex. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...latex-oil.html

Old 02-15-13, 10:58 AM
House is about 15 years old and I am the original owner. All paint has been water based latex/enamel.

Please bear will my ignorance, but why would I want to thin the Behr (water based enamel) and what would I thin it with, ...water?

Old 02-15-13, 01:38 PM
It doesn't sound like a good idea. Based on my experience with my own bathroom you should use real primer, which is not water based.

You can use thinned water based (latex) paints on fresh plaster but I actually bought primer for my bathroom because this is the bathroom and I want a water-tight and strong finish.

PS you thin latex paints for the first (priming) coat so that it will absorb somewhat into the plaster giving it a good adherence. Thick paint that does not absorb will peel of quite easily once cured. Google 'mist coat'.

Old 02-15-13, 02:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As we have all pointed out, a separate primer is best but assuming you just have a little drywall to prime and don't want to buy primer, you could use your leftover paint [thinned 5-10% with water] as the primer.

Please bear will my ignorance,
All of us were ignorant before we learned...... and most of us are still learning
Now if you were really ignorant, you would plow ahead without asking any advice

Old 02-16-13, 06:49 AM
Thanks everyone for continuing my education. The bare sheetrock/mud that I need to prime equals to about 1 4x8 piece of sheetrock, most of which will be concealed behind a floating vanity. It was taken out to adjust electrical, plumbing and most importantly, to install blocking for the floating vanity which I am custom building from maple and will have a granite top. 90% of the bath has previous paint, so it should be sealed well already.

My main concern for this post was if it was a problem painting latex over enamel, both water-based. This is a jack 'n' jill bath with jack and jill having flown the coup, so it will get very little use.

I was not really trying to cut corners as much as save a few dollars (I'm a little over budget already) with using something I had already since it would then be covered with the more expensive paint store (not HD) paint.

Thanks,
Greg

Old 02-16-13, 08:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Water based, latex and waterborne are all compatible. They can also be applied over a solvent based primer but not over an oil based enamel.