Paint touchup only a little too dark

Old 02-22-13, 05:54 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Paint touchup only a little too dark

I've been filling in nail holes in the wall and then painting over the spackle, so I decide to paint over some marks on the wall, too. I noticed that the paint touchup is slightly too dark in some places. I saw another thread where the best suggestion is to repaint the wall, but the color for me is just slightly off. I still have the can of paint used to paint the wall just a few months ago. Should I take it to place to have it remixed? Thanks.

Old 02-22-13, 06:01 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Custom tinting or altering the paint color to make a perfect match is an almost lost art that must be done at the job site. If you took your paint to the paint store they could add more colorant but there would be no guarantee that it would be a better match. 2 of the biggest reasons that paint won't touch up correctly are fading and the original coat didn't get full coverage.

What color paint was used? medium or dark shade? Sometimes feathering the paint out over a larger area will help the paint to blend. For most diyers - the best method is to repaint the entire wall.

Old 02-22-13, 07:17 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
It could be that the paint on the wall faded - if so, your patches will fade and be less noticeable in time as well.

Old 02-22-13, 09:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 324 Votes on 278 Posts
I agree with Mitch, give it some time. I repaired a wall for a friend that was only painted about a month earlier. You could see the repair for about a week until the paint fully cured. After that, it was invisible.

Old 02-22-13, 11:36 AM
G
Thanks so much for your replies! I'll wait to see if the paint fades.

Old 02-22-13, 11:49 AM
S
Group Moderator
Just one question - you are painting out of the same can that was originally use to paint the walls, right?

Old 02-22-13, 11:50 AM
G
Yes, mitch17. Well, I didn't paint the walls myself. Some other people did. But they left the same paint behind.

Old 02-22-13, 01:12 PM
S
Group Moderator
Nice. Sometimes paint is different in different cans even though the label outside is the same; we aren't dealing with that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: