Wall has bumpy texture, how to flatten it?

Old 03-04-13, 08:42 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wall has bumpy texture, how to flatten it?

Hello everyone.

I am trying to paint a room a different color. But I realized that the walls have a bumpy texture to it. Is there any way to flatten out the wall or get rid of the bumps before we paint. It would look way smoother if it was just flat.

Thanks,
-E

Old 03-04-13, 08:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 877 Votes on 807 Posts
It depends on how bumpy and what's causing the bumps but in general I would sand (sandpaper) the wall.

Old 03-04-13, 08:51 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
As Dane said, it depends. That said, sanding paint is generally not my first choice, paint tends to gum up sandpaper pretty quickly for me.

Rollers can add texture to a wall, it's called stipple. There's also orange peel and knock down found commonly on walls. Do you know what kind of texture you have?

Old 03-04-13, 08:54 AM
W
Are they bumpy like intentionally bumpy? That is textured? Or are they bumpy like poor paint jobs over the years where there are drips present, and little bumps that have been painted over several times?

If it's a textured wall, you will likely have to skim coat the walls with drywall compound. Will likely take two coats, then sand and prime. Give the primer a quick scuff sand and you're ready to paint.

If it's just a handful of bumps here and there from previous poor paint jobs, then you could as pilot dane mentioned just sand the bumps down. Generally you might have to start with a coarser paper, like 100 grit moving to finer grit paper as you are getting closer to having the wall flat. You can then evenly fan out spackle or joint compound to level the finish. Prime, scuff sand and you're ready to paint.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-04-13, 12:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
As noted above, latex paint doesn't sand well and tends to gum up the sandpaper. If it's just trash in the paint - I'd use a putty knife and scrape them off, then touch up the walls as needed with joint compound or spackle. If you have textured walls - skim coating is the only viable option.

Old 07-10-13, 06:54 PM
T
Ive got the same thing. The bumps on the wall to me resembles a thick roller used to paint with popcorn in it and painted over about 15 times. I saw using joint compound as an answer but Im not sure it would hold? No mention about cleaning or using a degreaser first either? What can I do? I want flat nice smooth walls.

Old 07-11-13, 04:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums TheePlanB!

So you want to do away with the texture and have a slick finish?
How dirty are the walls. Ideally you'd scrape them first before skim coating - would that give a decent substrate for the j/c? The walls don't need to be perfectly clean before you skim coat but you don't want to cover up a bunch of grime either.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: