Behr1 part epoxy garage floor paint

Old 03-19-13, 03:21 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Behr1 part epoxy garage floor paint

i got 1 gallon of Behr1 part epoxy garage floor paint to paint a remote corner of an old unpainted concrete basement floor. of course the directions recommend one product to clean and etch, and than a primer. this is a remote corner which will not be subject to any heavy traffic, additionally i did practically clean the surface as best as practically possible. my question is if the primer is absolutely necessary or will direct application of one or two coats be ok.

i know they always recommend a primer or an etcher but is it always really necessary or is this just their attempt to sell more product?

thanks

Old 03-19-13, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 66 Upvotes on 61 Posts
They are asking you to do what will hopefully keep you from returning the product due to a failed job.
You don't have to buy their products.

Old 03-20-13, 03:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 754 Upvotes on 659 Posts
If the concrete is real smooth - it needs to be etched, if the concrete is porous - it probably doesn't need to be etched. I'm not familiar with that particular coating but a lot of floor paints work well with thinning the 1st coat about 10% and using that for a primer.

The number one cause of paint failure on concrete is moisture coming thru the slab which will lift the paint. Make sure you don't have any moisture issues before you do any painting.

Old 03-20-13, 11:02 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
unfortunately there is a bit of moisture in the basement, its no so bad that it requires a french drain, and its not that its a low water-table. it an old house with old concrete and stone walls and when the surrounding earth gets saturated damp spots are sometimes visible in a random pattern. that said paint has held up for years in certain spots?

Old 03-21-13, 05:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 754 Upvotes on 659 Posts
Moisture always looks for the path of least resistance. Newer homes have a vapor barrier under the concrete [but they can get punctured] older homes usually didn't. Normally there is a layer of gravel under the slab but some areas might drain better than others.

With the conditions you describe, I expect floor paint to fail. Maybe not all across the floor but definitely in spots. A thin coat of latex stain might survive but it's not something you could garuntee

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: