What is best for DIY trim nail hole filling?

Old 03-24-13, 10:38 AM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What is best for DIY trim nail hole filling?

I need to fill unfinished trim nail holes.

I tried painters caulk: doesn't work well as it shrinks.
Someone in a big box center recommended wood filler. This works somewhat, but not well.

Is there a specialized product? I think i read somewhere that painters use product that is molded in your fingers, applied and then simply cut off with a blade.

Old 03-24-13, 10:43 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
There are several:

-Glazing compound is the molded between your fingers item.

-Spackle is the most common if you are going to paint
-There is a light weight kind.

-Wood putty or filler would be used mainly for stained applications and not painted.

Old 03-24-13, 11:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
For painted trim, painter's putty is the correct product. Window glazing is very similar and is what I normally use ........ one less container in the work van I like SWP's 66 Glazing because it's not as oily as any of the others.

For stained woodwork you use colored putty but only after the wood has been sealed with the first coat of poly.

The correct way to use painter's putty is to knead it between your fingers to get it in a good pliable condition. If it's too oily, roll it around in a rag to remove the excess oil. You can also add a powder called 'whiting' to help dry it up. You than take the putty and push with a twisting motion to fill the nail hole. The putty knife is used to neatly cut off the excess. I usually wipe it clean with the side of my thumb - with a little practice it does a good job and is quicker.

Caulking is just for the joints [where 2 pieces of wood meet] Spackling or joint compound isn't great for wood trim as it can more easily be knocked out if the wood receives any abuse - it also needs to be primed. Most of the wood fillers will work but aren't as quick/easy to work with.

Old 03-25-13, 04:46 PM
D
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks. All all products of the "painter's putty" similar? I am trying to find a smaller DIY quantityof a product.

Old 03-26-13, 04:46 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Ya, they are all pretty much the same. The only 2 brands I'm real familiar with is DAP and SWP's 66 Glazing. I think you can get DAP in a pint [maybe 1/2 pint]..... but I never buy anything smaller than a quart

You can also get a jar of 'white' putty in the colored putty section but I don't know if it would be any cheaper.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: