will paint fix this over my digital piano?

Old 03-27-13, 08:39 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
will paint fix this over my digital piano?

Hi, I want to get rid of this "thing" my dig.piano got over the surface of its metal case.
I believe its some kind of moisture, though it has some kind of worm-like shape (like some kind of tiny roots).
Anyway heres a few pics:

Name:  what is that.jpg
Views: 1454
Size:  31.7 KBName:  what is it.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  19.7 KBName:  affected area.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  23.9 KBName:  one more look.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  25.5 KBName:  here its bad.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  38.3 KBName:  invasion.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  31.2 KB

Im guessing I should somewhat clean the factory paint from the surface and paint it over (but dont know exactly how) (or maybe just paint over?)

About the metal its some kind of thick sheet metal, dont know exactly. Heres a pic of a scratch on the back that partially reveals some of the material.

Name:  scratch.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  25.0 KB

Ok guys Im a total noob so I ask the experts, what should I do?? Thanks in advance!!

Old 03-28-13, 04:06 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

The metal parts should be sanded and primed before you apply any paint. What is the rest of the case made of? Can you feel any difference between the the good spots and those that look funny?

The biggest issue with repainting the case is whatever paint you use - it's not likely to be as durable as the factory finish

Old 03-28-13, 01:12 PM
L
The piano is made of two metal cases (one on top and one below) and 2 plastic endcaps to the side.
The upper metal cover is only compromised on the spots showed in the pics, other zones of the case are in good shape and smooth.

So what IS that on the pics? I would like to know, maybe you have seen it before, is it moisture, or maybe rust onder the paint??
Anyway, what kind of paint you recommend? Som sort of spray paint for cars?

Old 03-28-13, 02:47 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Can't tell you what that is, there isn't a layer of plastic film over the metal, is there?

I would not spray paint this, the overspray could kill the keyboard itself.

Old 03-28-13, 06:08 PM
L
Hi, thanks for replying! Nope, there´s not any plastic film just the metal and the painting, wich will be hard to replace, im afraid about it getting worst after the paint :s
No problem with spraying though, since im dissambling the instrument before proceding, so ill be painting only the half of the case, but im still thinking about what kind of paint will be best for the job. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Leandrusi; 03-28-13 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-29-13, 03:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Is it possible to get any painting input from the instrument manufacture?

An automotive paint would work fine on the metal but I'm not sure how well it would do on the plastic. Does the plastic part flex any? Krylon makes a paint for plastic so it might be better. I don't know how well it wears

Old 03-29-13, 06:19 AM
S
Group Moderator
Yeah, if you can disassemble, spraying would be ok.

Not DIY but I wonder what an automotive body shop would say about painting this for you....

Old 03-29-13, 12:51 PM
L
English is not my native idiom, so some words and expressions are beyond my understanding... whats a "painting input"?? You mean the letters painted??

As for the paint on plastic, theres no plastic part that needs to be painted.
There are parts that have letters, these parts will have to be protected and paint the rest of the case.

Name:  21734895_12.jpg
Views: 1536
Size:  19.2 KB

my concern is that the new paint to be much different than the original one and there be much contrast with the protected parts.
So how could I find the right paint?

Old 03-29-13, 01:01 PM
S
Group Moderator
What Mark was asking was whether you had contacted the manufacturer of the keyboard to see if they had any information they could provide about how to best go about this.

Old 03-29-13, 01:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,473 Votes on 1,361 Posts
Looks to be a difficult job with the lettering silk screened on. When you mask off the lettering you will always see a line where the new and old paint meet.

The metal is most likely aluminum.
Is that an SP-88 ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: