Thompson Tinted Water Seal

Old 03-28-13, 03:44 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thompson Tinted Water Seal

I used a tinted Thompson water seal on a new cedar bench about three years ago. I have no idea what happened, but it never dried. It stayed tacky. A year later, you could sit on it, it wouldn't rub off, but it still felt gummy. I was hoping it would wear off, but that never happened.

Last summer, I tried sanding it off. I could only get about half of it off. It looks horrible. Any suggestions? Is there anything I could stain it with now? Is my only option paint?

I guess the most important question is - will anything stick? Do I need to strip it? Considering its a bench with lots of slats, stripping would not be my first choice. Appreciate any suggestions. I don't think its possible to make it look any worse than it looks now.

Old 03-28-13, 04:02 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
It sounds like you applied too many coats although I wouldn't think it would still be tacky

Have you tried scrubbing it with mineral spirits? If that doesn't work, try lacquer thinner. If you can stay with stain if you can remove most of it. If you give up and paint - use an oil base primer.

Old 03-28-13, 05:25 AM
P
It was only one coat. I will try the mineral spirits. Will stain work ok over this mess? Any particular kind? Do I seal it then with poly? It sits outside unprotected all summer.

Old 03-28-13, 05:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't care much for using poly on the exterior. Even though spar poly is formulated for the exterior, the elements still adversely affect it. If you can strip enough of the existing stain off - most any deck stain should do fine. If water beads up on the wood, it means there is still some old finish that should be removed.

Old 03-28-13, 05:47 AM
P
Thanks for all your help Mark. I will try the mineral spirits and then get a deck stain. Truly almost anything will be an improvement.

Old 03-28-13, 05:50 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Deck stain would be my choice as well.

Normally getting rid of Thompsons isn't an issue, it normally goes away on its own pretty quickly so I don't have any ideas beyond mineral spirits and elbow grease.

Old 03-28-13, 05:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
While I've seen and heard of the tinted thompson's stain - I've never used any. The old clear TWS did a good job of waterproofing but usually would only stand up to the elements for about 6 months. I assume the tinted versions were formulated to rebuild their poor reputation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: