Paint over Pencil

Old 03-30-13, 01:45 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Paint over Pencil

I'm planning some custom furniture against one interior wall. I think the easiest way to plan this out would be just to draw on the wall once I have a rough idea what goes where so that I can visualize better. Writing measurements where I take them would also prevent them getting lost or confused.

Is there something I can use for drawing that can easily be painted-over instead of having to be scrubbed-off? I could probably be happy using anything, but I'm not guaranteed that I'm not going to be the one cussing about it later.

Old 03-30-13, 01:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,477 Votes on 1,365 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You can paint over pencil.

For laying out custom work like that I use the blue painters tape. It's easy to see and you just pull it off when you are done with it. Nothing left to paint over.

Old 03-30-13, 02:30 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Pencil sometimes shows pretty well through paint - while I agree it would be a good choice, I would probably use a sealing primer first before painting the wall after you're done with your artwork.

Old 03-30-13, 02:33 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks.

I've heard bad things about leaving painter's tape up too long, can't remember what they were, though.

I know... I'll try starch and paper. That should be easy enough to get off with normal prep-work.

Old 03-30-13, 02:55 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
My thought would be cardboard cutouts you could lean against the wall and then move easily if adjustments are needed.

Old 03-30-13, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 900 Votes on 826 Posts
Pencil marks can easily be removed from painted surfaces by using denatured alcohol on a clean rag. Be cautious at first- if any color seems to come off onto the rag, you are probably rubbing too hard.

Old 03-31-13, 04:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
You need to be careful if you use denatured alcohol - it can dissolve latex paint. I used work with a carpenter that was always making pencil marks on the wall. Often they didn't cover with one coat of paint but a second coat always covered them.

The old regular off white masking tape is problematic when left on very long. The blue tape uses a different adhesive as usually doesn't cause any issues - but you don't want to leave it on for a long time - a few hours or even a day or two shouldn't cause any problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: