Spray paint gloss - is there some kind of optical illusion?

Old 03-31-13, 11:53 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Spray paint gloss - is there some kind of optical illusion?

I spray painted my fridge and although it has only been about 18 hours I am convinced that in normal light I can see the lines where I was spraying back and forth horizontally. However, when I turn the light out and go over those same areas with a torch, the color seems to be nice and consistent everywhere with no lines?

So which is correct? Is the torch light lying, or am I wrong to judge it by light coming in through the window? Or is it because it hasn't yet dried totally?

I used 5 cans of Rustoleum Painter's touch spray paint and although the fridge is fairly big I am sure I sprayed each section with about 5 thin coats. I have one can left so could give it another coat after the 24 hours is up, but I don't want to do it unless it is necessary. I am moving on Wednesday so need to decide what to do.

Old 03-31-13, 12:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
It can be difficult to get good even coverage with an aerosol can I've sprayed thousands of gallons of paint but still have difficulties with spray cans occasionally. Your 'torch' is it just a flash light or a very bright work light?

How paint appears and reflects light can be confusing some times. If there are any waves in the substrate it can make a perfect paint job appear uneven at times. There is a difference between dried paint and cured paint. If the paint is dry, it's appearance won't change as it finishes curing.

It's a hard for us to tell for sure if it's a coverage issue because we aren't there to inspect it ...... and it's probably not bad enough to show up in a pic. About all I can suggest is to inspect it under multiple types of lighting and at different angles. If you can only see the tiger stripes from one angle or one type of light - it's probably ok.

Old 03-31-13, 01:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Anytime I spray paint multiple coats from a spray can, I'll usually try and do those light coats in different directions. Back and forth, then up and down, to try and get that even coverage. As Mark said, spray cans are difficult because they sometimes create a heavier pattern around the perimeter of the pattern, which can create some "doubled up" paint thicknesses, which is probably the lines you're seeing.

If you've only been spraying back and forth, I'd suggest your last coat be up and down or diagonal. Perhaps it will help hide some of the horizontal patterns you've been creating. It's possible that if you're technique was similar each of the 5 times, only going back and forth horizontally, that any overlap has gotten more pronounced with each coat, as the pattern is repeated.

Old 03-31-13, 03:54 PM
B
Thanks guys. I did Google up and down or horizontal before I done the spray painting but a lot of hits on Google said do it one way or the other. I think I will do one more coat and it will definitely be up and down this time.

As for the light. I thought I could see the lines both in daylight, and with the ceiling light on. The torch is on my cellphone and is quite a bright light. It doesn't show any lines at all. Anyway, I got a few drips, so was obviously spraying to heavy at first, but for my first spray paint job it isn't that bad and of course fridge magnets will be used to cover the drips.

Edited to add: Here is a photo I just took. Don't they say the camera never lies or something. This is just as I find it in person. The top door is closer to the ceiling light and looks less streaky. The bottom one seems to show lines:

Last edited by Berite Blunt; 03-31-13 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Add photo
Old 04-01-13, 04:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I did Google up and down or horizontal before I done the spray painting but a lot of hits on Google said do it one way or the other
I've never used Google for anything relating to painting/spraying but I'm surprised at what you found. When ever applying multiple coats of paint to any substrate other than wood it's a good idea to change directions with the different coats - it insures better coverage.

I don't know how far your can of paint goes but it would be a good idea to apply 2-3 more coats with one of them being horizontal. Not drying between coats but letting it tack up and then apply the next coat in the other direction.

Old 04-01-13, 10:46 AM
B
I done two coats and the paint looks a lot better. However, the color is just atrocious, and I am the one who picked it. I think there is a good chance I won't take the fridge with me. Thanks for the great advice.

Old 04-01-13, 10:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Golly, I just thought you liked blue
It can be hard to judge a paints true color just by a chip or the cap on the can

Old 04-01-13, 12:53 PM
B
Actually I judged it from online photos, which is worse. You just can't gauge the intensity of the colour from a photo. I was thinking, is there any way of trying to wet sand this fridge in my new place to avoid dust and then somehow painting over it to make it light blue - not with spray paint though??

Old 04-01-13, 04:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You can always sand and repaint. The paint can be applied by brush, roller or spray. Obviously spraying gives the nicest finish. A hotel we used to go to at Myrtle Beach routinely painted their older refrigerators with a roller and oil base paint to combat the effects of the salt in the beachfront air. I don't think anyone noticed other than me

Would it be feasible to leave the fridge in the garage, paint it and then move it into your new digs?

Old 04-01-13, 04:40 PM
B
Thanks for the idea, Mark. I'm gonna leave it behind. I would have took it if the paint had come out OK but maybe I'm lucky it didn't. I just get the feeling I need to start afresh so am leaving everything I can behind including good furniture, a washing machine I fixed etc. It's the right thing to do so I can forget about my old place. Anyway, what a silly color that was.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: