Ceiling still flashing after using Gardz Drywall Sealer and BM ceiling paint

Old 03-31-13, 02:12 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling still flashing after using Gardz Drywall Sealer and BM ceiling paint

I have an issue that Iím not sure how to fix. This isnít my first rodeo but feels line it. Ceiling is Arched, 13í peak with one end at 9í & 7.5í at the other end, 25í long, 15í wide. Removed popcorn completely from ceiling. Did not use mud, not one of my set of skills. Sanded and used joint compound\spackling to gave it a smooth appearance. House built in 1988.
Used Gardz Drywall sealer.
After waiting a day, I put on coat of Benjamin Moore top of the line Ultra Flat Ceiling paint. Painted right to left opposite of entrance. BJ ceiling paint dries incredible fast. After painting up to peak, (20% of ceiling) noticed paint had already dried and saw a lot of flashing. So thought maybe I didnít lay enough Gardz Drywall sealer on, so stopped, next day, re-applied gardz to area I had painted and to the rest of the ceiling. Started again, flashing after one coat. Waited a day, put another coat of BM very expensive ceiling paint on. Was using 9Ē roller rig but switch to 18Ē rolling rig with ĺď Purdy white dove roller to increase application speed. Same thing after the 4th coat, still flashing. Read this can be a problem with BM.
I thought it was time to cut my losses with BM and switched to Behr Premium Ultra ceiling paint (paint\primer in one). It did adhere better but I really loaded up the roller. Used 2 gallons on ceiling but should have just taken one. I really went over and over areas to make sure it got in every little part of the ceiling. Still flashing but better. Always rolled paint wet to wet.
Iíve frequent this site often and thought it was time to reach out to someone who might tell me where Iíve gone wrong. This is the first time Iíve used Gardz and doubt if I will again. Gardz should have locked in the very cleaned new Drywall and spackling. Especially after 2 coasts. If not, BM and Behr should have based on that it has some priming ability. Iíve rolled a lot of ceilings, though this is my first after removing rough texture, and I just am at a lost on this one. Prefer not to use primer again after using $150 on ceiling paint. Suggestions on paint and open to suggestions on what I did wrong.

Old 04-01-13, 04:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums Rick!

Gardz is a great primer but probably not the one you needed Gardz is mainly for sealing damaged drywall or wallpaper adhesive. We used to have to use an oil base primer for those applications.

For whatever reason, I've had more issues using ceiling paint than I ever had using regular flat latex on ceilings. Popcorn is favored by builders because it hides a multitude of sins including any waves in the drywall where they often use 1/2" drywall instead of 5/8" on the ceiling. Is it possible that the ceiling isn't perfectly flat and that is why it doesn't look right?

Once I verified it's not an optical illusion, I'd apply a coat of flat latex wall paint and see if it does any better. If it doesn't, I'm not sure what to tell you

Old 04-01-13, 06:17 PM
R
Thanks about the suggestion on trying flat wall paint on the ceiling. Concerning Gardz Drywall Sealer, you are correct about it being used to seal in damage drywall, wallpaper, etc. I only decided to use it on my drywall after reading how well it does against all types of paint primers sealers. Jack Pauhl, who seems to have a good reputation as a painter within the industry reviewed Gardz Drywall Sealer against the top 21 paint primers. His reviews seemed to be very in-depth, with pictures, etc. I really couldn't find anybody who refuted what he said. Here is the link:

interior primers | Interior Painting Tips by Jack Pauhl

With that being said and still not knowing exactly what the problem is, I donít think I would take the chance and use it again.

I showed some pictures I took to a few contractors and they were stumped as well. Not only was some of my spackling showing through but there was flashing everywhere. One said he always used a ĹĒ roller nap to provide more depth and after 2 coats, he never had an issue with flashing. I thought I will try that first and then maybe try some regular flat wall paint over a small area. I would take a step back and try again in a few weeks but you can't when you are painting a living room ceiling. It's been 3 weeks and I need to get my 61" TV and furniture back in Thanks, I will check back in a bit.

Old 04-24-13, 09:18 PM
R
Update. I met a paint contractor through a friend and he was so intrigued about my ceiling he volunteered to come over and see what he could do. He couldn't believe I had 12 coats of paint on it. He could see that it was still some flashing but thought I was almost there. We went to Sherwin Williams where he buys all his paint and I bought 2 gallons of their Eminence Ceiling paint. He also told me that I should try using a 3/4" roller nap versus the Ĺ" and 3/8" nap that I had used before. He is a lot taller than I am and stronger and in two hours he had rolled on 2 coats of paint. He rolled it opposite of what I had rolled the previous time. It came out great.

Lessons learned.

I thought if I research enough on the Internet about my project that I could overcome my lack of experience in painting. Nothing compares to experience. That paint contractor knew how to keep a wet line and he was fast. I could never paint a ceiling 25' long as quick as he did. The 3/4" nap helped a lot. He asked how much I spent on paint and supplies, I thought, around $350. He said, I should have called him after I removed the popcorn. He would have done it for less and made good money for two hours of work LOL. Buying the best ceiling paint, BM at $45 a gallon, might not have been the best decision. What I do know, SW paint was the last paint I applied and my ceiling looks great.

Lastly, removing the popcorn ceiling was really pretty easy. As long as it hasn't been painted over before, just wet it using a two gallon sprayer, $11. My buddy and I scrapped it off in 5 hours. The biggest mistake I made was not properly sealing the room after sanding the spackling I applied on the bare drywall after removing the texture. Well, dust went everywhere. But that is a whole new story. Someday I will create a new post about my trials and tribulations involving removing the dust from my home.

I am about to start painting the walls. Wish me luck LOL.

Old 04-25-13, 04:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I suspect the painter's experience with applying the paint had more to do with the successful result than the actual paint that was used although using a paint that he was familiar with gave him a leg up.

Glad you got it resolved hopefully things will go better with the walls

Old 04-25-13, 09:34 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Mark uses SWP and I use BM, both of us have had good experience. While I've never used it, it's been my observation that Behr gets more complaints here than all other paint brands combined - this is a large part of the reasoning behind my never having used it. I would say BM would be fine for your walls but given your recent experience, I hope you go back to the SWP store

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: