caulk won't cure

Old 04-23-13, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
caulk won't cure

I recently caulked my shower. While caulking I accidentally had caulk remover on my rag used to clean up residue. Now the caulk isn't drying all the way, I assume because I contaminated it. Do I have to remove it and do it over, or will it dry in time. It's been 2 weeks. Need advice

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-13, 04:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Welcome to the forums Mary!

I'm not familiar with caulk remover Caulking doesn't really cure. It is supposed to remain flexible. Can you better describe the condition of your caulk? While it should be a little bit pliable, you shouldn't be able to get any on your finger when you run it across or into the caulk. What type/brand of caulking did you use?

Old 04-23-13, 04:33 PM
It isn't exactly sticky,yet it isn't dry either. It's only on the 2 verticle seams that I did that day. But I know I got caulk remover on the seams. I used DAP Advanced kitchen and bath adhesive caulk with kwik dry technology. It doesn't feel hard like my other seams but I think I used different stuff on them. I guess you could call it dry, but its soft. I'm just wondering if after use, it won't clean up if it isn't hard. It's a rental property. This isn't silicone. Maybe it should be soft. I'd really hate to do it over. Thanks for your input. I don't want to rent it until I know it will be ok

Old 04-23-13, 04:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
It's been a long time since I've used any DAP caulk. I can understand you not wanting to have to come back after the unit is rented. I'm not aware of anything you could wipe over the caulk to either make it set or remove any of the chemical remover/softner that may have gotten on it. Since it's only two seams it might be best to bite the bullet, remove the caulk and recaulk ... and use a clean rag

I did do a search on caulk removers but didn't find anything that really told their composition or what makes them work. Only that it's a product that softens up old caulk in 2-8 hrs [depending on brand]

Old 04-23-13, 05:16 PM
Thanks so much for your advice. I appreciate it