PAINTING OF KITCHEN CABINETS

Old 02-08-01, 03:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

WE HAVE CABINETS THAT ARE 30YEARS PLUS, CAN NOT GET THE FRONTS CLEAN, WOOD IN GOOD SHAPE SO NO REASON TO REPLACE. WOULD LIKE TO PAINT BUT PROBLEM IS THAT THE CABINETS ARE SEEN FROM THE FAMILY ROOM AND WOULD HAVE TO BECOME A PART OF SAID-TIPS FOR PAINTING AND PREP AS THE BULD UP OF GREASE, WATER STAINS, ETC IS BEYOND BELIEF

Old 02-08-01, 09:41 PM
Visiting Guest
First you will need to wash well with TSP or Dirtex (paint stores) Don't worry if you can't get all the stains completely out, as long as you wash them thoroughly and the rest is a copy and paste from a previous posting:

I just re-painted some in my rent-house that had latex on them. What I did was run over them with 220 grit sand paper, fixed the minor imperfections with lightwieght shrinkfree spakeling, sanded the repairs with the 220, wiped off all dust and primed entirely with an oil based primer such as kilz or sealz-all, sand lightly after dry, caulk where needed with a PAINTABLE latex caulk smoothing with a wet finger and clean up with a wet rag, after dry I painted with Ben. Moores Impervo Gloss (oil based). They look very good.

While it is true that the paint companies are coming out with better and more durable latex paints, they will not flow out and feel as smooth as oil, and they may claim to be as durable as oil based but I have a hard time believing that, maybe close. Latex is easier to use, and a good quality latex such as Ben. Moores Impervo Latex Gloss or Sherwin Williams ProClassic Waterborne interior will work well if latex is the way you want to go.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: