Olympic vs Cabot

Old 06-07-13, 07:47 AM
B
bhk
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Olympic vs Cabot

We are having our summer cottage stained. Previously (10 yrs ago) used Cabot Oil opaque.

Our contractor says Olympic good in our area (NC mountains) and wants to use latex
He says you can put latex over oil, but not oil over latex.

Our only home improvement store is Lowes.

input welcome

Also, I cannot figure out how to start a new Post

Old 06-07-13, 08:26 AM
N
Olympic make a fine red stain.. just use the hyperlink and head to their site to make your custom stain!Good luck, let us know how your barn turns out.

Old 06-07-13, 08:55 AM
B
bhk
I am not staining a barn, a cottage, it will be tan, thanx for help

Old 06-07-13, 02:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Latex stain usually does fine over weathered oil base stain. IMO it's better to buy your coatings from your local paint store, not a big box store. What prep is he planning to do?

Old 06-08-13, 08:04 AM
B
bhk
Olympic vs Cabot

We do have a local SWP; contractor has already pressure washed. Will sand and caulk and make any needed repairs to wood.At least 2 weeks away due to all the rain.

He said SWP has a Super Paint that has lasted 8 yrs on some decks he has done; latex. Problem is it is thick so time consuming apply.

The deck was done by another contractor 2 yrs ago, Cabot, should have lasted longer as usually we get 4 yrs from it. New contractor says it looks like the previous job was done with Cabot that had been frozen.
Bought at Lowes!

We have always used stain on deck and cottage, I will check with SWP as would prefer them to Lowes

Old 06-08-13, 09:17 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless things have changed since I retired - SuperPaint is paint, not stain. The thickness of the coating shouldn't have much effect on the time it takes to apply but I wouldn't recommend paint for a deck. I've used a good bit of SWP's DeckScapes with good results.

Ooops, I just reread your original post, not sure why I thought you were just staining a deck
While I'd be inclined to stick with stain on your siding, paint is an option. Paint generally lasts longer than stain but can peel over time = more prep when it comes time to recoat.

DeckScapes can be used for both siding and decks. They have another exterior stain line that is only rated for siding - it's probably a few dollars cheaper.

Old 06-08-13, 10:52 AM
B
bhk
Stain has been great on siding=11 years, Cabot oil

My thoughts the same as yours when contractor said paint deck...............for 16 yrs we have had stain, I will ask about Deckscapes..........

usually deck stain lasts 3-4, this time only 2

Old 06-08-13, 12:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
What changed between the last deck stain job and the ones prior to it? If the same stain was used, then it was either improper prep or application. Using the correct coating is only part of the job.

Old 06-08-13, 12:59 PM
B
bhk
nothing changed, this contractor thinks the Cabot was a bad batch or frozen, as per previous post, though I don't think the prep was done as well as it should have been....

Old 06-08-13, 01:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Whoever applied the frozen the coating would have know that it was bad. Latex coatings thicken up once they've been froze. The only way to get it in consistency that would apply right would be to thin it - but it's no good and shouldn't be used!! I've never applied any latex coatings that have frozen but I would expect if it was applied it would fail within months, not yrs.

Sometimes you can go back to the manufacture and find out if it was a bad batch .... but you'd need an old can to get the needed info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: